Boris Johnson announces suspension of Parliament

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I don't blame anyone for voting for Brexit. I probably would, were I from the UK.

So many pushing for it were so dishonest about it, but still..... Good normal people can want the same things as dicks. Doesn't make them dicks.

Nov 2015
UK
In the story it was stated Johnson has asked the Queen to suspend Parliament.

So who has the power to do this? The Queen or Johnson?
The Queen formally prorogues Parliament on the advice of the Privy Council. The privy council is a formal body of advisors, mainly made up of politicians in the Commons and Lords.

So the Prime Minister requests prorogation, the Queen is advised by the privy council. As the UK's monarchy is constitutional, the Queen is usually guided by the Uncodified Constitution of the UK and really just rubber stamps things.

In theory, the Queen can sack parliament and rule by privy council.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I see the U.S. isn't the only country engaging in poltical shenanigans. Wow they really opened up a foul can of worms with this Brexit thing. I see if an agreement isn't met by a deadline in late October a lot of farmers and business people will be hurt badly. What idiots not to research something before they vote on it. OTOH we have idiots here that voted for Trump.
This will all give our Donald Trump the idea that he can just 'suspend' Congress. He probably thinks he only needs the permission of Attorney General William Barr.

Congress won't give him the funding for his Vanity Wall? Why, just FIRE Congress! That'll teach 'em!!

Nov 2015
UK
I see the U.S. isn't the only country engaging in poltical shenanigans. Wow they really opened up a foul can of worms with this Brexit thing. I see if an agreement isn't met by a deadline in late October a lot of farmers and business people will be hurt badly. What idiots not to research something before they vote on it. OTOH we have idiots here that voted for Trump.
We've lost track of the number of doomster predictions that have never materialised. We are not leaving the EU, the EU is leaving us because it's a different one to the one we originally joined.

Economics is only one tiny part of Brexit, being part of the EU has never been financially beneficial. For me, sovereignty is more important. If we have to follow decisions and laws, I want those laws to be from Parliament and not by directives from an EU parliament that we never joined. So many died in two wars to keep many countries sovereign, I'm not gonna piss on the fallen graves to give the UK away to the EU, so I voted leave.

And fuck the farmers. They will live

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Your post is flawed. If that were the case there would not be any sense in even asking her to approve the shutdown of parliament.
My understanding from the many English books I have read is the Privy Council advises, the King or Queen makes the final decision.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Sorry I misunderstood. Some in the news media reported the situation accurately, and some folks these days seem to equate social media with "the news".
What I first heard on CNN was that Boris Johnson had asked the Queen to disband Parliament. The later I heard the Queen has agreed. That is all I heard.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
This will all give our Donald Trump the idea that he can just 'suspend' Congress. He probably thinks he only needs the permission of Attorney General William Barr.

Congress won't give him the funding for his Vanity Wall? Why, just FIRE Congress! That'll teach 'em!!
No, Trump just stole it from disaster funds..while bad mouthing PR. Now Dorian is hitting Florida. Wait until they find he used it to build his vanity wall.