Boris Johnson resigns

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
I made the British version of scones. I am a Gordon Ramsey fan. Get his shows on Pluto streaming device, watch him there.

But I would not like your clotted cream. I prefer sweet, whipped for my Strawberry Shortcake. Using my Grandmother’s biscuit recipe.:)
Sounds great - but maybe a bit too sweet for our tastes. The clotted cream is the correct counter to the strawberry jam or cherry conserve which form a part of the cream tea. Neither the scones nor the cream include sugar as the jam is sweet enough. I do know, from my time there, that Americans like to add sugar (or some other sweetener) to just about everything. I could handle (and liked) the doughnuts, but most of the cakes I bought were much too sweet for me - even as a teen.

And LOL, speaking of cream, the worst thing I ever tasted in the USA was so-called 'cream' which came in a spray pack! :eek: :D

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
They do, and I'm no expert at cookery (I have trouble boiling water), but I think the texture is different. :)
The scones recipes and biscuits are pretty much the same recipe.. cutting them into trianlges make them look different. It all depends on the Baker.

Instead of butter the old timers used lard in buscuits, or Crisco when it came along. I can remember when a small package of yellow color was mixed in to make it look like butter

To this day Pastry cooks prefer lard or Crisco for their pie crusts. Crisco also came out with a yellow Crisco. I have used it.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Sounds great - but maybe a bit too sweet for our tastes. The clotted cream is the correct counter to the strawberry jam or cherry conserve which form a part of the cream tea. Neither the scones nor the cream include sugar as the jam is sweet enough. I do know, from my time there, that Americans like to add sugar (or some other sweetener) to just about everything. I could handle (and liked) the doughnuts, but most of the cakes I bought were much too sweet for me - even as a teen.

And LOL, speaking of cream, the worst thing I ever tasted in the USA was so-called 'cream' which came in a spray pack! :eek::D
The recipes I have seen call for one teaspoon of sugar in Scones and in biscuits. I do not use sugar! All Popovers require heating the pans first with oil or butter. That makes the hollow of Popovers. But basically the recipes are the same.

When I say Whipped Cream I mean the real thing although we have packaged Cool Whip.

Nov 2015
UK
LOL, do you mean Boris All-Mouth-and-No-Trousers Johnson? To paraphrase a famous Australian ex-PM - "God save the Queen, because nothing will save the British nation!"

I quite like Boris the Clown, but we do not need another flabby Etonian, whose idea of public order is 'a damned good thrashing', and the gaols of New South Wales and Tasmania are no longer available to take our miscreant orphans.
We need someone to tell the EU to fuck off. At the moment, Boris is the one wanting to do it.

Btw, dribbling on about Australia and Tasmania is rather strange.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
We need someone to tell the EU to fuck off. At the moment, Boris is the one wanting to do it.

Btw, dribbling on about Australia and Tasmania is rather strange.
I would have thought the reference to the New South Wales and Tasmanian colonies might be obvious to anyone with a passing familiarity with the history of the Victorian, and pre-Victorian, eras.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
The recipes I have seen call for one teaspoon of sugar in Scones and in biscuits. I do not use sugar! All Popovers require heating the pans first with oil or butter. That makes the hollow of Popovers. But basically the recipes are the same.

When I say Whipped Cream I mean the real thing although we have packaged Cool Whip.
LOL, I'm going to display my enormous ignorance now - as I had no idea what Crisco or Popovers were (until I Googled them) and have only heard of lard - which, AFIK, was a shortening medium of the Victorian era.

And I'm sure you use the healthiest ingredients in your cooking. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that all Americans use spray pack 'cream' - I was just rather taken aback (as I had never heard of such a thing) when my hostess in California used it on American scones. :)

Reactions: Madeline
Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
LOL, I'm going to display my enormous ignorance now - as I had no idea what Crisco or Popovers were (until I Googled them) and have only heard of lard - which, AFIK, was a shortening medium of the Victorian era.

And I'm sure you use the healthiest ingredients in your cooking. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that all Americans use spray pack 'cream' - I was just rather taken aback (as I had never heard of such a thing) when my hostess in California used it on American scones. :)
Lard is animal fat. Crisco was similar in texture. And, no I do not always use healthy ingredients.:) That would be my DIL, she is a Food Scientist. My Grandson, who is your age prefers grapes to candy. But never fails to eat my rich desserts, Peanut Butter Pie, Banana Pudding, Cakes.

The spray stuff is supposedly real cream. I agree it is awful.But nothing is like real whipped cream in the mixer.

Our cookies are your biscuits. But funny how we love British TV shows here. Most of them seem more real.

https://www.amazon.com/boxes-Nabisco-Social-Biscuits-12-35/dp/B07JYV48ZV/ref=asc_df_B07JYV48ZV/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343257889627&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1900256981588660215&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1023630&hvtargid=pla-727294654049&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=70739387642&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343257889627&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1900256981588660215&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1023630&hvtargid=pla-727294654049

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio