Both Sides Of The Census Question

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
Why the Census SHOULD Count Undocumented Immigrants
Not counting undocumented aliens costs cities and states federal money, resulting in a reduction of services to all residents. The census count is used by Congress in deciding how to distribute more than $400 billion annually to state, local, and tribal governments. The formula is simple: the greater the population your state or city reports, the more federal money it might get.

Why the Census SHOULD NOT Count Undocumented Immigrants
Counting undocumented immigrants in the census undermines the fundamental principle of American representative democracy that every voter has an equal voice. Through the census-based process of apportionment, states with large numbers of undocumented aliens will unconstitutionally gain members in the U.S. House of Representatives, thus robbing the citizen-voters in other states of their rightful representation.

Reasons for and Against Counting Illegal Immigrants in the U.S. Census

I can appreciate both arguments for different reasons.

Which side do you agree with and why?

Nov 2010
San Diego...ish
Not counting undocumented aliens costs cities and states federal money, resulting in a reduction of services to all residents. The census count is used by Congress in deciding how to distribute more than $400 billion annually to state, local, and tribal governments. The formula is simple: the greater the population your state or city reports, the more federal money it might get.

Counting undocumented immigrants in the census undermines the fundamental principle of American representative democracy that every voter has an equal voice. Through the census-based process of apportionment, states with large numbers of undocumented aliens will unconstitutionally gain members in the U.S. House of Representatives, thus robbing the citizen-voters in other states of their rightful representation.

Cities and states that offer sanctuary have done that on their own. Why should they receive a larger portion of federal money and representation because of it?

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
I could be confused. (it actually happens quite a bit.)

But i don't think the outstanding issue/debate is whether folks living here illegally should be counted. Most agree that they should be included in the census. The battle is whether there should be a question on the census which identifies them as being here without documentation. The argument being that those individuals will decline to fill out the census form fearing possible reprisals.

All individuals (here legally or not) do need to be included in the census data. It's a law thingy.

Jun 2014
United States

Our constitution demands that we count all persons living in the US, regardless of their citizenship status. That pretty much settles the issue for me.

The only argument that I've seen for excluding non-citizens from the count is based upon xenophobia, rather than legitimate legal issues.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I could be confused. (it actually happens quite a bit.)

But i don't think the outstanding issue/debate is whether folks living here illegally should be counted. Most agree that they should be included in the census. The battle is whether there should be a question on the census which identifies them as being here without documentation. The argument being that those individuals will decline to fill out the census form fearing possible reprisals.

All individuals (here legally or not) do need to be included in the census data. It's a law thingy.

Agree. As I recall the statement the court focused on was "residents should be counted." Never said citizens. The word citizen appears many times so the court felt had the founding fathers meant citizens they would have said so. They didnt.

Sep 2014
South FL

Apportionment cannot be based on people specifically excluded from our political community. To do so is illegitimate.