Both Sides Of The Census Question

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
In the opinion of demographers. Do you have a basis for a contrary opinion or is it just not in your interest to believe the people who do that work?

Prove it.
I've already provided substantial arguments through the thread. I won't repeat them just for you.

If you have some argument beyond a four year old saying "Why?" to every statement, I'll be happy to parlay with you.

Apr 2018
oregon
In the opinion of demographers. Do you have a basis for a contrary opinion or is it just not in your interest to believe the people who do that work?

I've already provided substantial arguments through the thread. I won't repeat them just for you.

If you have some argument beyond a four year old saying "Why?" to every statement, I'll be happy to parlay with you.
You're just another arrogant lib who presents his opinions as fact. You've proven nothing in this thread beyond a pedestrian ability to regurgitate bias-confirmation propaganda.

Get back to me if/when you can develop any ability to think for yourself.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Your question/statement was a lie. The real question is why did Obama drop in 2010, when Clinton included it in 2000? Why did Obama not have to justify dropping it?

2000 - History - U.S. Census Bureau

View attachment 25602

Do you really want to talk about lying?

President Barack Obama’s administration did not remove the citizenship question from the 2010 Census, so this claim from Conway is unfounded. Her 50-year timeline is sketchy as well, as is her claim that the ACS asks about citizenship every five years.

What actually happened: The Census Bureau discontinued its long-form supplement after sending it out in 2000. As we’ve noted, that separate survey included a citizenship question.

Obama was in office when the next decennial census rolled around, in 2010. But the Census Bureau had switched over to the ACS in 2005 — before Obama took office. Furthermore, the 2010 ACS included a citizenship question. So there was no yanking on Obama’s part. (The Census Bureau began to design the ACS in 1994.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-citizenship-question/?utm_term=.6eeea65f069c

So are you going to answer my original question or not?

I'm not betting on it btw.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
We want representation based on an accurate count. You want representation that deliberately undercounts particular groups. Who is immoral, again?

What is with this idiotic talking point that by wanting to ask the citizenship question we want to undercount groups?

You all should try thinking for yourselves for once so when the talking points are this bad your posts dont come off foolish.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Do you really want to talk about lying?

President Barack Obama’s administration did not remove the citizenship question from the 2010 Census, so this claim from Conway is unfounded. Her 50-year timeline is sketchy as well, as is her claim that the ACS asks about citizenship every five years.

What actually happened: The Census Bureau discontinued its long-form supplement after sending it out in 2000. As we’ve noted, that separate survey included a citizenship question.

Obama was in office when the next decennial census rolled around, in 2010. But the Census Bureau had switched over to the ACS in 2005 — before Obama took office. Furthermore, the 2010 ACS included a citizenship question. So there was no yanking on Obama’s part. (The Census Bureau began to design the ACS in 1994.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-citizenship-question/?utm_term=.6eeea65f069c

So are you going to answer my original question or not?

I'm not betting on it btw.
I am saying that it is a lie to say that the citizenship question hasn't been a census questions since 1950 as you claimed. It was a census question in 2000 as your cite confirms.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Interesting side note.

By a margin of 53 percent to 32 percent, Americans agree with President Donald Trump that the upcoming 2020 census should ask a citizenship question, according to a new poll by the Economist magazine created in partnership with YouGov. Since 1790, a citizenship question has been included in 10 of the 23 census questionnaires
The Economist survey asked: “Do you think the federal government should or should not ask people whether they are American citizens as part of the 2020 census?”

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7jvikvc2ge/econToplines.pdf
Poll: Americans Agree With Trump on Census Citizenship Question

Jun 2014
United States
Interesting side note.

By a margin of 53 percent to 32 percent, Americans agree with President Donald Trump that the upcoming 2020 census should ask a citizenship question, according to a new poll by the Economist magazine created in partnership with YouGov. Since 1790, a citizenship question has been included in 10 of the 23 census questionnaires
The Economist survey asked: “Do you think the federal government should or should not ask people whether they are American citizens as part of the 2020 census?”

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7jvikvc2ge/econToplines.pdf
Poll: Americans Agree With Trump on Census Citizenship Question

There was also support in public opinion polls for Jim Crow racial segregation. That's why our federal laws are limited by our constitution, rather than by public opinion polls. The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled on this issue. I would think that Republicans who profess to honor constitutional law would be satisfied with the judgment of a Supreme Court that is heavily biased toward the Republican Party due to the shenanigans that went on with the last two appointments to the Court, but I guess not?