Both Sides Of The Census Question

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Mr. Jets,

That is not the argument. Illegals get counted, whether they say are illegal or not.

The real argument is whether the US should have an accurate count of how many illegals live here.
Actually, the question doesn't determine legal status, there is no rational reason to oppose it.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
There was also support in public opinion polls for Jim Crow racial segregation. That's why our federal laws are limited by our constitution, rather than by public opinion polls. The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled on this issue. I would think that Republicans who profess to honor constitutional law would be satisfied with the judgment of a Supreme Court that is heavily biased toward the Republican Party due to the shenanigans that went on with the last two appointments to the Court, but I guess not?
The SCOTUS didn't have a problem with the question.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Expect for the fact that there was no justification for adding it. That's why they ruled against him.
The question is fine according to the SCOTUS, what was dems reason for excluding it after Bill Clinton's 2000 census? The GOP didn't sue Obama for dropping it, why are you concerned about restoring it?

You claim it should be excluded because it is racist, yet you don't have an issue with the Census asking about race.

Reactions: orangecat
Jun 2014
United States
The question is fine according to the SCOTUS, what was dems reason for excluding it after Bill Clinton's 2000 census? The GOP didn't sue Obama for dropping it, why are you concerned about restoring it?

You claim it should be excluded because it is racist, yet you don't have an issue with the Census asking about race.

1. You don't speak for me.

2. Trump got his ass handed to him by his own, hand-picked SCOTUS.

Trump is feckless and impotent and his toadies all look like fools.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Why the Census SHOULD Count Undocumented Immigrants
Not counting undocumented aliens costs cities and states federal money, resulting in a reduction of services to all residents. The census count is used by Congress in deciding how to distribute more than $400 billion annually to state, local, and tribal governments. The formula is simple: the greater the population your state or city reports, the more federal money it might get.

Why the Census SHOULD NOT Count Undocumented Immigrants
Counting undocumented immigrants in the census undermines the fundamental principle of American representative democracy that every voter has an equal voice. Through the census-based process of apportionment, states with large numbers of undocumented aliens will unconstitutionally gain members in the U.S. House of Representatives, thus robbing the citizen-voters in other states of their rightful representation.

Reasons for and Against Counting Illegal Immigrants in the U.S. Census

I can appreciate both arguments for different reasons.

Which side do you agree with and why?
I am good with a citizen question. It's better for it to be accurate.

It's not true that it costs states money. If knowing the citizenship if our population means less money for states, they shouldn't have had the money to begin with.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jun 2014
United States
I am good with a citizen question. It's better for it to be accurate.

It's not true that it costs states money. If knowing the citizenship if our population means less money for states, they shouldn't have had the money to begin with.

Citizenship status has no bearing whatsoever upon the census population count. You seem to think that it does, but you're wrong about that.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Our constitution demands that we count all persons living in the US, regardless of their citizenship status. That pretty much settles the issue for me.

The only argument that I've seen for excluding non-citizens from the count is based upon xenophobia, rather than legitimate legal issues.
I see arguments that states get funding and if course more congressmen for more citizens, so that means imo that the status of those counted matters.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk