Both Sides Of The Census Question

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Citizenship status has no bearing whatsoever upon the census population count. You seem to think that it does, but you're wrong about that.
What does gender identity or race identity have to do with the census population count, yet you don't have an issue with those questions, yet a citizenship question is racist?

Jan 2019
southeast
What does gender identity or race identity have to do with the census population count, yet you don't have an issue with those questions, yet a citizenship question is racist?
Don't expect nightswimmer to give you an answer to your question.

Jun 2014
United States
I see arguments that states get funding and if course more congressmen for more citizens, so that means imo that the status of those counted matters.

You're very close to understanding how census data is used. It is the number of persons that matters -- not the number of citizens. Citizenship status is, and has always been, irrelevant to the population count. That is what the constitution demands of the census.

It's fine for someone to feel that only citizens should count, but that doesn't reflect what the law requires.

Jul 2019
Fargo, North Dakota
You're very close to understanding how census data is used. It is the number of persons that matters -- not the number of citizens. Citizenship status is, and has always been, irrelevant to the population count. That is what the constitution demands of the census.

It's fine for someone to feel that only citizens should count, but that doesn't reflect what the law requires.
I agree. I also think the citizens have a right to know how many people are living in their country that aren't citizens.

Reactions: GoaTlOver
Jan 2019
southeast

You are the one that does not seem to understand. It is not about 'only citizens should count'.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
The reason behind the effort to add the citizenship question was to scare undocumented immigrants out of registering with the Census Bureau. The goal was to artificially reduce the population count in regions of the nation that have a higher than normal number of undocumented immigrants, thereby artificially shifting greater representation to regions of the nation that have a lower than normal number of undocumented immigrants making up their population.
Or continue to keep the number of estimated illegals low.

Jun 2014
United States
I agree. I also think the citizens have a right to know how many people are living in their country that aren't citizens.

We already know that. The information is gathered by our federal government, but that is a separate function from the census, which is a constitutionally mandated head count of all persons residing within the US.