Brazilian Tyrant Jair Bolsonaro Is Now Censoring Science

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
[O]ur school districts current superintendent ... is trying to get rid of mandating math because its racist and cursive writing because of course we will just talk to computers so we dont need to learn to actually write.
That makes absolutely no sense. How can mathematics be "racist"?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
A LOT of today's college students have the erroneous idea that America was fighting Russia and China in World War II. The level of historical ignorance among Americans is becoming frightening.
I am afraid many are more focused on the social aspects of the internet and not the learning. Younger people are now getting news from Facebook and reading tweets is "news." They cant tell you what century the Civil War was or even what the Holocaust is. I told this story before but back about 8 years ago our high school band was invited to perform for the opening of a local Holocaust Memorial. However, before performing the music director had to explain to the kids what the Holocaust was as many didnt know and others who thought they knew were wrong.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
What is the provenance of that quote? Sounds like something from Frank Herbert's Dune series of novels!
Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. It is a saying that goes with the Ministry of Truth, IIRC. You can (appropriately enough for this thread) Google it. :D
Because apparently there were articles that claimed females and people of color did poorly in mathematics particularly algebra. Many schools then began dropping algebra. Even today its only offered as an elective in some schools.
That is nonsensical. (I am not arguing with you, but rather the idea that math can be racist.)

Jan 2016
Colorado
Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. It is a saying that goes with the Ministry of Truth, IIRC. You can (appropriately enough for this thread) Google it. :D
Yeah, I should have known that, considering I just read Orwell's book about nine months ago.

And I know I could have Googled it. Just thought it would be easier to ask you. Shrug.