Breastfeeding on a plane

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

LONDON, July 17 — Dutch airline KLM faced sharp criticism on Wednesday for its “antiquated values” after cabin crew told a breastfeeding woman to cover herself up to spare the blushes of other passengers.

Women’s rights campaigners reacted angrily when KLM confirmed the policy on social media, saying the company was playing into stigma and mothers should never be shamed for feeding their children.

“Negative attitudes about breastfeeding in public stem from the over-sexualization of women’s bodies,” said Niki Kandirikirira from the advocacy group Equality Now.

“Breastfeeding is a totally natural process and women should have the freedom to do it wherever and whenever they want, rather than being forced to hide as if they are doing something inappropriate.”

The World Health Organization recommends that babies be breastfed exclusively for their first six months, then have a diet of breast milk and other food until they are two years old.

The furore started after a woman posting under the name Shelby Angel said on Facebook that a flight attendant told her to cover herself while breastfeeding her one-year-old on a flight between San Francisco and Amsterdam last month.

She said she refused, but was left feeling “uncomfortable and disrespected” and when she complained to KLM she was told the attendant’s response was in line with company policy.

"So instead of standing up for and protecting breastfeeding mothers and our children, already under the duress faced by flying with our young children, KLM would rather hold up antiquated values that shame women’s bodies,” she wrote.

When asked to confirm its policy on Twitter, KLM said it “permitted” breastfeeding but mothers might be asked to conceal themselves.

"To ensure that all our passengers of all backgrounds feel comfortable on board, we may request a mother to cover herself while breastfeeding, should other passengers be offended by this,” KLM said on Twitter.

However, Ayala Ochert from British campaign group Better Breastfeeding said breastfeeding in public was accepted in the “vast majority” of countries and the company was out of step with social norms.

“In their effort to avoid offense in the tiny minority of people disturbed by the sight of a child feeding, KLM has instead chosen to offend a mother trying to feed and nurture her child,” she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
KLM’s breastfeeding policy leaves public outraged after mother was told to cover up

Personally, I cannot understand anyone being "offended" by a mother feeding her baby...

I suppose it's because of my early years in Russia lol

Over there, women absolutely feed wherever they damn well please, in public, be it on a beach
or, indeed, on board a plane

And God help anyone over there, who is stupid enough to mess with a nursing mother bear lmao

Russian women WILL defend, fiercely, their babies right to feed on them wherever they (the babies) want; theatres and other public venues in Russia, where staff had the foolishness to ask a nursing mom to cover herself or something, then inevitably faced mass crowds of women with babies taking over their building in protest

:D

Russia has even gone up against America at the UN, last year, in defense of breastfeeding: Russia Steps in to Save UN Breastfeeding Resolution Against U.S. Opposition

:)

Not sure about the attitudes here in Canada, although I have seen women here in Toronto breastfeeding publicly and nobody seemed to have a problem with it lol

But, yeah, this was really dumb of KLM, in my opinion.

Nov 2015
UK

KLM’s breastfeeding policy leaves public outraged after mother was told to cover up

Personally, I cannot understand anyone being "offended" by a mother feeding her baby...

Over there, women absolutely feed wherever they damn well please, in public, be it on a beach

And God help anyone over there, who is stupid enough to mess with a nursing mother bear lmao

Russian women WILL defend, fiercely, their babies right to feed on them wherever they (the babies) want; theatres and other public venues in Russia, where staff had the foolishness to ask a nursing mom to cover herself or something, then inevitably faced mass crowds of women with babies taking over their building in protest

Russia has even gone up against America at the UN, last year, in defense of breastfeeding: Russia Steps in to Save UN Breastfeeding Resolution Against U.S. Opposition

Not sure about the attitudes here in Canada, although I have seen women here in Toronto breastfeeding publicly and nobody seemed to have a problem with it lol

There should be law where you can legally punch the teeth out of those who complain in public over someone breast feeding.

Jul 2019
Atlanta

No one has to expose their breasts to breast feed.

Reactions: HCProf and The Man
Jan 2012
SoCal
I say the more the merrier but the reverse is true as well. If you are breast feeding and I walk by and glance at it I'm just glancing at a "totally natural process and women should have the freedom to do it wherever and whenever they want." I shouldn't be treated as if I am oggling someone and be "forced to hide as if they are doing something inappropriate.”

If you don't care about anyone seeing your boob. I don't care about anyone seeing your boob but we live in a strange age where you get to decide the intent about me walking around and having observed a totally natural process and then get to assign ill intent to it, then we have a problem.

Joe Rogan did a comedic bit about a woman who has an Instagram feed featuring nothing but pictures of her butt. She spends every day taking and posting pictures of her doing provocative things with her butt.

That isn't the problem. The problem is we live in a weird age where if I were to subscribe to her feed of her doing provocative things with her butt, I'm fine and appropriate. If I'm out in the real world watching her take the photos of her butt, then I'm a weird creeper who is harassing her and giving her unwanted attention.

So as always....two way street.

Reactions: The Man
Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I say the more the merrier but the reverse is true as well. If you are breast feeding and I walk by and glance at it I'm just glancing at a "totally natural process and women should have the freedom to do it wherever and whenever they want." I shouldn't be treated as if I am oggling someone and be "forced to hide as if they are doing something inappropriate.”

If you don't care about anyone seeing your boob. I don't care about anyone seeing your boob but we live in a strange age where you get to decide the intent about me walking around and having observed a totally natural process and then get to assign ill intent to it, then we have a problem.

Joe Rogan did a comedic bit about a woman who has an Instagram feed featuring nothing but pictures of her butt. She spends every day taking and posting pictures of her doing provocative things with her butt.

That isn't the problem. The problem is we live in a weird age where if I were to subscribe to her feed of her doing provocative things with her butt, I'm fine and appropriate. If I'm out in the real world watching her take the photos of her butt, then I'm a weird creeper who is harassing her and giving her unwanted attention.

So as always....two way street.
Do you stare at woman's boobs even when they are covered in clothing? I don't, It's extremely poor manners. Looking is one thing, but staring is quite another. Well, even looking is pretty screwed up. If I even glance at my bosses boobs, I could find myself in a ton of hot water.

Hope this helps.

Mar 2019
TN
God put boobs on women specifically to feed children. If someone objects to a woman using her boobs for the very reason she has them, the problem is with the person making the objection !!!

I’ve never understood the objection !!

If you are embarrassed? You’re the problem!!

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
To be honest, and I know this makes me kinda... weird, I guess, among many fellow males out there; but, I actually have never viewed the female breasts as sexual organs.

Like, I was never attracted to boobs. Other parts of the female anatomy were always of far more interest to me lol Breasts, always been indifferent to them.

So, as far as I am concerned, if women walked around with their shirts off on hot summer days, like plenty of men do, it wouldn't matter to me at all :D

Jan 2012
SoCal
Do you stare at woman's boobs even when they are covered in clothing? I don't, It's extremely poor manners. Looking is one thing, but staring is quite another. Well, even looking is pretty screwed up. If I even glance at my bosses boobs, I could find myself in a ton of hot water.

Hope this helps.
I don't tend to give things more attention than they deserve but if they are doing things that attract attention and it has the desired outcome then my point is simply that you're not an intentional jerk when that happens. If I were sitting next to a breast feeding woman on a plane and I suddenly have some little feet on my thigh or lap....because most of those kids and the angles they are being held at would invade the personal space of others and I make small talk about the kid to the Mom this is all normal.

It's normal to watch a baby. They're cute. If they're part way in your lap this is likely even more so. I don't want any accusations flying my way is my point.

I had a gym friend. She had gotten a branding/scarification right between her breasts of a horseshoe. It created a lot of furrowed brows and double takes. Those people weren't staring or creepy or jerks. They just were trying to process what they had seen.

To be honest, and I know this makes me kinda... weird, I guess, among many fellow males out there; but, I actually have never viewed the female breasts as sexual organs.

Like, I was never attracted to boobs. Other parts of the female anatomy were always of far more interest to me lol Breasts, always been indifferent to them.

So, as far as I am concerned, if women walked around with their shirts off on hot summer days, like plenty of men do, it wouldn't matter to me at all :D
Some of us want a law to make the men put back on their shirts. LOL

Reactions: The Man