Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel Suspended

Oct 2009
Kansas
The argument for this decision needs to be made forcefully and in full public view. Israel was looking at a tough re-election fight in 2020. Why not officially sanction him, and leave it up to the voters? I'm willing to entertain the argument, but nobody should tolerate anything less than a full airing of the case.

Don't get me wrong ... elected sheriffs sometimes behave like they are free to exercise their office as they see fit, unlike an appointed law enforcement leader, because of their popular mandate. It shouldn't work that way, and the institution of an elected law enforcement leader is somewhat questionable in its entirety, same as an elected judge. Nonetheless, if this is the system, these decisions are subject to scrutiny.

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
The argument for this decision needs to be made forcefully and in full public view. Israel was looking at a tough re-election fight in 2020. Why not officially sanction him, and leave it up to the voters? I'm willing to entertain the argument, but nobody should tolerate anything less than a full airing of the case.

Don't get me wrong ... elected sheriffs sometimes behave like they are free to exercise their office as they see fit, unlike an appointed law enforcement leader, because of their popular mandate. It shouldn't work that way, and the institution of an elected law enforcement leader is somewhat questionable in its entirety, same as an elected judge. Nonetheless, if this is the system, these decisions are subject to scrutiny.
After the superhuman levels of cowardice, incompetence, and corruption of Israel and his department that have come to light already, I'd be shocked if he were re-elected. But stranger things have happened.