Budget Deficit Looms For Sam Brownback, Kansas As 2015 Begins

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
Gov. Sam Brownback will include proposals to increase tax revenue to help fill a projected budget hole when he unveils his budget plan later this week, his chief of staff says.

He also will tackle education spending, which accounts for more than half of the state’s budget, as part of his proposed fix, said chief of staff Jon Hummel.

When Brownback starts his second term — and the 2015 legislative session — on Monday, he will have to balance his signature tax-cut policy with a deficit projected at $648 million in the next fiscal year. His handling of this challenge, which his critics say is self-imposed, could define his legacy as governor.

--snip--

Brownback said his proposed two-year budget would be “revenue positive,” meaning it would leave the state with a surplus.

Budget deficit looms for Sam Brownback, Kansas Legislature as 2015 session begins | The Wichita Eagle
Let's see, now - Tax cuts that left the state in a condition of serious deficits, with more to come. A state Supreme Court ruling that says the state is unconstitutionally underfunding education by $500 million a year. Standard and Poors has downgraded all of Kansas bond ratings. And an economy that's growing at a slower rate than the national economy, and/or the economies of surrounding states.

And yet Brownback procalims that the new budget will be "revenue positive"?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How many times are Republicans going to try that hocus pocus supply side, trickle down, dynamic scoring bullshit before they realize it does not work?

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
The important thing is that he wants to raise taxes, which he's spent the last two years insisting will never happen, that he won re-election campaigning against.

It doesn't really matter, though, which I figure Brownback is counting on: If even $50 million in tax increases makes it through this leg, I'll eat my hat.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
Let's see, now - Tax cuts that left the state in a condition of serious deficits, with more to come. A state Supreme Court ruling that says the state is unconstitutionally underfunding education by $500 million a year. Standard and Poors has downgraded all of Kansas bond ratings. And an economy that's growing at a slower rate than the national economy, and/or the economies of surrounding states.

And yet Brownback procalims that the new budget will be "revenue positive"?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How many times are Republicans going to try that hocus pocus supply side, trickle down, dynamic scoring bullshit before they realize it does not work?
As long as the state electorate buys into the policy, whether it works or not is irrelevant. Don't blame the GOP, blame the voters who keep giving them a license to keep doing it.

Jmo

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
The important thing is that he wants to raise taxes, which he's spent the last two years insisting will never happen, that he won re-election campaigning against.

It doesn't really matter, though, which I figure Brownback is counting on: If even $50 million in tax increases makes it through this leg, I'll eat my hat.
You don't really expect him to raise income taxes on the people he cut them for 3 years ago though, do you [MENTION=15717]Singularity[/MENTION]?

I figure, if he raises taxes at all, they'll be the most regressive taxes - sales taxes, cigarettes, alcohol, maybe eliminate sales tax exemptions on some items. The question is, can he raise those enough to offset the budget deficits, much less have a surplus at the end of the year?

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
As long as the state electorate buys into the policy, whether it works or not is irrelevant. Don't blame the GOP, blame the voters who keep giving them a license to keep doing it.

Jmo
You have to understand that there are basically two Republican parties in Kansas.

With a few exceptions, power's been traded between them, with the occasional Democratic gubernatorial candidate able to cause enough defections to elect him or her.

Brownback represents the zenith of the conservative wing, but that power will be broken if he passes through tax hikes.

They're behind him because he's pure. If he deviates, there's gonna be a lot of fighting.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
You don't really expect him to raise income taxes on the people he cut them for 3 years ago though, do you [MENTION=15717]Singularity[/MENTION]?

I figure, if he raises taxes at all, they'll be the most regressive taxes - sales taxes, cigarettes, alcohol, maybe eliminate sales tax exemptions on some items. The question is, can he raise those enough to offset the budget deficits, much less have a surplus at the end of the year?
I think we'll see regressive tax increases, but the income tax has to go up. It simply has to.

One of Brownback's key allies in the Senate spoke to my community the other day and said this. He got blue in the face, but he said it.

It's just going to take a lot of work to get there, because there's a lot of people in the legislature who simply don't care.

As long as they are continually re-elected, the state can burn. They will not be re-elected if they vote for tax increases, no matter why.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
At this point I expect Brownback to ask for about $100 mil or so in hikes, the Senate will give him $50, and then the House will kill it. Some variation of this.

Only after a year has passed and the cuts the state will then be legally obligated to make have come into full effect, causing a good deal of pain for everyone, might the situation change. Might.

I don't have a clue what'll happen if the Supreme Court upholds the education ruling. I guess we're just screwed, then. I honestly hope they don't.

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City

Jmo
Then we need to remind the public that the smoking ruin that Kansas has become under Brownback's "leadership" is what the GOP wants to do to the entire country. And we need to shove the GOP electorate's face in it, each and every day, until the lesson is learned.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio

Yet Kansans re-elected him. Why? Kasich calmed down and went against his Legislature after we took him to the woodshed on Unions.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Yet Kansans re-elected him. Why? Kasich calmed down and went against his Legislature after we took him to the woodshed on Unions.
Because a lot of people in Kansas drank Brownback's Kool-Aid, believing that he could slash taxes by this degree and it would all just work out, that they were basically getting free money.

Brownback's central message was "The sun is shining in Kansas [the state is growing and we won't have to cut anything back], don't let anyone tell you different."

Campaign finance also played a role. Brownback and his allies flooded the airwaves about his challenger likes strippers and death row inmates.