Bush Funeral Could set back Taxpayers a half a billion dollars

Jul 2014
midwest
This is not different form any other former President... the majority of this "cost" is lost prodctivity due to the federal holiday the government gavce to their own lazy bums. And other presidents got the same.. so this is no reason for sudden outrage, at all.
Yet several ARE outraged!

Even at Daddy Bush!

All because of the "R" after his name.

Imagine the outrage that awaits when little Bush goes.

Or (Heavens To Mergatroyd!) Trump!!!

Oh, the humanity!!!

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I respected Bush senior and would take him in a heartbeat over the assclown we have in the Whitehouse now but a half a billion dollars? WTF?! And we don't think we have a monarchy of some kind?

Bush funeral could set taxpayers back a half-billion dollars
I find estimates like this to involve some pretty fuzzy logic. It's not like federal employees are producing physical goods on an assembly line and a paid holiday shuts down the production. A lot of them have the same amount of overall work and responsibility regardless of whether they get an extra day or not. By this same logic, MLK, George Washington and Christopher Columbus "cost" us $1.5 billion every single year.

However that's not to say I agree with a paid holiday for federal employees because an ex-President died.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
IMO, I think too much is spent on funerals for the rich and famous. And, I think too much is spent on funerals overall.

Just stick me in an old box, and put me in the ground. I'd appreciate a prayer or two, no cost involved.

But, funerals are a big business, and fancy coffins and elaborate flower arrangements, are the norm. Personally, I like flowers, but not the smell at funerals. Nauseating.

Oct 2013
USA
Bush Sr was a good President, not a great president but as such he earned two days for mourning. I'll even give him an extra day and make the count 3 days because he was also unquestionably a very good man. The rest of the mourning days that went over should be billed to the estate or paid by those who requested a live casket appearance of the deceased president Bush. Now that I have solved that we can move on to travel expenses:

Taxpayers should be responsible for the transportation (mileage) between the spot a President dies and the route to the funeral home. Taxpayers should also pay for the trip from the funeral home to the burial site. Any side trips the deceased is sent on should be paid by the person(s) requesting an appearance. If a President is flown to the Met and given a balcony seat, the cost of the seat and the airfare should be paid for by whoever arranged that expedition.

Jan 2014
California
Bush Sr was a good President, not a great president but as such he earned two days for mourning. I'll even give him an extra day and make the count 3 days because he was also unquestionably a very good man. The rest of the mourning days that went over should be billed to the estate or paid by those who requested a live casket appearance of the deceased president Bush. Now that I have solved that we can move on to travel expenses:

Taxpayers should be responsible for the transportation (mileage) between the spot a President dies and the route to the funeral home. Taxpayers should also pay for the trip from the funeral home to the burial site. Any side trips the deceased is sent on should be paid by the person(s) requesting an appearance. If a President is flown to the Met and given a balcony seat, the cost of the seat and the airfare should be paid for by whoever arranged that expedition.
Ms. Minotaur,

??????????

I just trying to picture GHW body in a balcony seat at the MET.

Oct 2013
USA
Ms. Minotaur,

??????????

I just trying to picture GHW body in a balcony seat at the MET.
Well I don't know if that is in the Bush plans but he has been pretty busy traveling all over the country. I will certainly demand that for myself among other things like free tchotchke bags to everyone who arrives and fellow invitees like you will only be charged $5 at the ticket booth to pay me back for the free stuff.

Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
The National Memo really? That's your source??? Did you read their tagline? "Smart, Sharp, Funny, Fearless" Even worse, they are attributing credit for that quote to The Daily Beast. Posts like yours are a joke to people who actually follow politics. People who are serious about politics do not take the Daily Beast seriously and they certainly wouldn't quote The National Memo. Talk about a post demonstrating the ignorance that abounds around here, this one is a laughing out loud moment.

Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
OMG, even better. Talk about a credible source to quote from; Alterner? Really??? Of course, this crappy source is also quoting the same Daily Beast crap story that you posted earlier. The members of this forum who know anything about politics, on both sides of the aisle will quickly realize this post and its source a joke. The fact that anyone took it serious enough to post it as a credible source is outright laughable.