Bush Funeral Could set back Taxpayers a half a billion dollars

Jul 2014
CA
The National Memo really? That's your source??? Did you read their tagline? "Smart, Sharp, Funny, Fearless" Even worse, they are attributing credit for that quote to The Daily Beast. Posts like yours are a joke to people who actually follow politics. People who are serious about politics do not take the Daily Beast seriously and they certainly wouldn't quote The National Memo. Talk about a post demonstrating the ignorance that abounds around here, this one is a laughing out loud moment.
So dispute what the Daily Beast got wrong.

I myself don't mind the cost for Poppy's funeral. Better to spend some money his memory and time in the WH as opposed to a stupid ass wall.

Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia

I myself don't mind the cost for Poppy's funeral. Better to spend some money his memory and time in the WH as opposed to a stupid ass wall.
Oppose the wall, that’s not unexpected. Some people do not care about this country.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Not sure I trust the number... For example, its probably true that police were on duty, but its probably not true that if not for the funeral they would have been on vacation. I imagine there are many things like that, because it suits the purpose of the article for the cost to be high.

Sep 2012
SoCal
Holy crap!

Is that an actual quote, MaryAnne?
Trump On Coming Debt Crisis: I Won’t Be Here When It Blows Up
Trump On Coming Debt Crisis: I Won’t Be Here When It Blows Up

Since the 2016 presidential campaign, Donald Trump’s aides and advisers have tried to convince him of the importance of tackling the national debt.

Sources close to the president say he has repeatedly shrugged it off, implying that he doesn’t have to worry about the money owed to America’s creditors—currently about $21 trillion—because he won’t be around to shoulder the blame when it becomes even more untenable.

The friction came to a head in early 2017 when senior officials offered Trump charts and graphics laying out the numbers and showing a “hockey stick” spike in the national debt in the not-too-distant future. In response, Trump noted that the data suggested the debt would reach a critical mass only after his possible second term in office.
“Yeah, but I won’t be here,” the president bluntly said, according to a source who was in the room when Trump made this comment during discussions on the debt.

The episode illustrates the extent of the president’s ambivalence towards tackling an issue that has previously animated the Republican Party from the days of Ronald Reagan to the presidency of Barack Obama.

But for those who have worked with Trump, it was par for the course. Several people close to the president, both within and outside his administration, confirmed that the national debt has never bothered him in a truly meaningful way, despite his public lip service. “I never once heard him talk about the debt,” one former senior White House official attested.

...MORE...

Jun 2018
Florida
This is not different form any other former President... the majority of this "cost" is lost prodctivity due to the federal holiday the government gavce to their own lazy bums. And other presidents got the same.. so this is no reason for sudden outrage, at all.
Agree. The link article itself says >> "A 2008 analysis by the National Taxpayers Union found that federal holidays cost taxpayers around $450 million per day in holiday pay and lost labor."

Wait a second. We're talking about money (holiday play) that is being paid out anyway (whether at the funeral or someplace else), so this isn't extra $$ paid out. There is actually nothing being lost here, except some productivity, which, for one deal, might not be a big deal at all. This looks like much ado about nothing.

Jun 2018
Florida

Which would protect American workers' jobs, prevent crime increases, and protect the economy from losses of TRILLIONS of $$$$

Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
I gotta I think that the most expensive part was security. But when you have the president, multiple ex-presidents, all those generals that were there and the other high-profile dignitaries, that's to be expected. I was thinking as I was watching it that it had to be the number one target for a terrorist strike. Imagine if that had been hit by something/someone.

Even if there were just a couple of fighters circling high above, that bill is going to rack up pretty fast. I'm not 100% sure that's what was happening but if it was, I don't have a problem with it.