Buttigieg and South Carolina

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
My thought is that if Pete wins in Iowa or New Hampshire or even comes in second and Uncle Joe finishes 4th or worse .. that changes everything. The more people look at his intellect and experience, the more they like. He is also quite clearly a centrist who doesn't buy into Medicare for All - Bernie & Liz concept in which you can't keep your current policy.

Southern Evangelicals are never gonna vote for a gay 37 year old (he turns 38 in January). But southern Evangelicals won't be voting in the Dem primaries and will remain on the careening, off-the-rails Trump Train.

Buttigieg definitely has work to do with Black and Hispanic voters. But they won't be voting for Donald in the general and hate him enough that they'll turn out even if the D nominee wasn't their first pick.

Jul 2014
midwest
Well, that's a pleasant change from the usual rightie arguments that "homophobia" isn't real. Cool.
That what they been saying in "your" world?

Welcome to reality.

"Reality, what a concept!" -- the late great Robin Williams

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
That's your Leftist OPINION.

Most Americans would disagree with your opinion.
We're talking about the definition of a word. Most Americans don't even USE that word. Many, like you I suspect, have no reason to express its meaning in the first place. So you're not really in a position to tell others, who do raise concerns about homophobia, to tell them how to use it.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
We're talking about the definition of a word. Most Americans don't even USE that word. Many, like you I suspect, have no reason to express its meaning in the first place. So you're not really in a position to tell others, who do raise concerns about homophobia, to tell them how to use it.
I don't know which planet you are residing on at the moment, but the Left's position has always been if you disagree with homosexuality, or even so much as believe marriage should be strictly between a man and a woman (see Chick-fil-A fiasco) then you are definitely a Homophobe.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Here's a real controversy. Black homophobia?

As Pete Buttigieg Courts Black Voters, His Sexuality Is a Hurdle for Some

Will this create a rift in the Dem coalition? Buttigieg is in this thing because he’s raised a TON of money from gay people. He’s got other issues: age, an apparently spotty record dealing with police in his own city, and he’s only a mayor. But if the reason he doesn’t turn out to be a viable candidate is because he’s gay and blacks in SC won’t support him on that basis, I see trouble ahead for Dems. Small-d democratic politics is all about coalition building.

More at post #2.
The disdain/resistance to embracing the homosexual lifestyle isn't something that Buttigieg is going to easily persuade people away from. Pretty deep seated fundamental belief.

Interesting dilemma. Obviously all blacks don't agree on the issue, but if a high enough percentage are in the "no-gay" camp it is going to have a potential huge impact. Specifically in the swing states in a General election.

Fascinating twist to an already complex election cycle.