Buttigieg goes after Warren over "evasive" answers on healthcare

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think it will all come down to healthcare. Single payer or expanded ACA?

Pete Buttigieg on Thursday took a swipe at fellow 2020 hopeful Elizabeth Warren, knocking the Massachusetts senator for a lack of transparency about how she’d pay for her “Medicare for All” plan.

In the editorial, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., wrote that his plan would allow the country to achieve “universal health care and a public alternative without raising taxes on the middle class.” Buttigieg goes on to say in the op-ed: “Anyone who lets the words Medicare for All escape their lips should tell us just as plainly how they plan to get there.”

He continued: “If you’re proud of your plan and it’s the right plan, you should defend it in straightforward terms. It’s puzzling when everybody knows the answer to that question of whether her plan and Senator [Bernie] Sanders’ plan will raise middle-class taxes is ‘yes.’”

Tapper and Buttiegieg also referenced Warren’s recent appearance on Stephen Colbert’s “The Late Show,” during which the senator continually dodged answering explicitly whether the middle class would see its taxes go up, despite Colbert’s calling her out for skirting the specifics. While Warren has been among the few candidates who still backs Sanders’ single-payer model, Buttigieg has taken a more moderate lane, releasing a plan on Thursday that he has dubbed “Medicare for All Who Want It.”

It’s just the latest instance of Buttigieg beginning to draw sharper contrasts with his rivals as his campaign appears to have stalled a bit among the 2020 field.

Buttigieg pops Warren over ‘evasive’ answers on health care plan

Reactions: pragmatic
Feb 2011
Boise, ID
It seems like it should be really easy to just answer the question with, "it won't raise middle class taxes by as much as it will reduce their overall health care spending, so it will be a net gain for the middle class." Whether that's honest or not, it's the campaign trail so no one cares, they're all making it up as they go.

Reactions: pragmatic
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
It seems like it should be really easy to just answer the question with, "it won't raise middle class taxes by as much as it will reduce their overall health care spending, so it will be a net gain for the middle class." Whether that's honest or not, it's the campaign trail so no one cares, they're all making it up as they go.
You got that right.

People tend to believe what they want to believe.

Jul 2019
Heartland
Thirty two (32) countries around the world have universal health care plans.
Why America Is the Only Rich Country Without Universal Health Care

Any idiot running for President should have sense enough to compare and contrast the 32 plans and to pick the best elements from them and evaluate if they will work in America. Consequently, since it appears that none of the candidates, including dummy trump, have done that basic research, it should be apparent that not one of them is serious about the health care issue. The talking heads let them get away with BS sound bites that mean absolutely nothing.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Thirty two (32) countries around the world have universal health care plans.
Why America Is the Only Rich Country Without Universal Health Care

Any idiot running for President should have sense enough to compare and contrast the 32 plans and to pick the best elements from them and evaluate if they will work in America. Consequently, since it appears that none of the candidates, including dummy trump, have done that basic research, it should be apparent that not one of them is serious about the health care issue. The talking heads let them get away with BS sound bites that mean absolutely nothing.
Biden’s proposals have been on the Democratic agenda since Hillary’s campaign and they would make a monumental difference. Bennett has put the work in to be informed but has 0% in the polls.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
I think it will all come down to healthcare. Single payer or expanded ACA?

Pete Buttigieg on Thursday took a swipe at fellow 2020 hopeful Elizabeth Warren, knocking the Massachusetts senator for a lack of transparency about how she’d pay for her “Medicare for All” plan.

In the editorial, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., wrote that his plan would allow the country to achieve “universal health care and a public alternative without raising taxes on the middle class.” Buttigieg goes on to say in the op-ed: “Anyone who lets the words Medicare for All escape their lips should tell us just as plainly how they plan to get there.”

He continued: “If you’re proud of your plan and it’s the right plan, you should defend it in straightforward terms. It’s puzzling when everybody knows the answer to that question of whether her plan and Senator [Bernie] Sanders’ plan will raise middle-class taxes is ‘yes.’”

Tapper and Buttiegieg also referenced Warren’s recent appearance on Stephen Colbert’s “The Late Show,” during which the senator continually dodged answering explicitly whether the middle class would see its taxes go up, despite Colbert’s calling her out for skirting the specifics. While Warren has been among the few candidates who still backs Sanders’ single-payer model, Buttigieg has taken a more moderate lane, releasing a plan on Thursday that he has dubbed “Medicare for All Who Want It.”

It’s just the latest instance of Buttigieg beginning to draw sharper contrasts with his rivals as his campaign appears to have stalled a bit among the 2020 field.

Buttigieg pops Warren over ‘evasive’ answers on health care plan
That's one reason I like Sanders. He's more honest and admits taxes will go up on the Middle Class. But he also goes out of his way to stress that will be balanced out by the obvious fact you will no longer have an insurance premium to pay for.

I don't know why Warren is unwilling to say the same. It does make her appear evasive and leads me to suspect she really has no plans to implement medicare for all anyway should she secure the presidency. So she's probably just telling people what they want to hear when it comes to healthcare. Her "wealth tax" is a stupid plan as well - because all such a policy will do is prompt the rich to move their money offshore where it can't be taxed. I do like her stance on China however - and how she supports Trump's tariffs. So should the woman find her way into the White House at least I'm confident that policy will be maintained. So I can think of worse outcomes.

As far as the pompous Buttigeig is concerned - now that Swallowswell is out of the race - he's probably the most annoying candidate the democrats have left to them. He's a raging hypocrite - who likes to cherry pick scriptures from the bible (he curiously avoids the ones that condemn his activities) all the while pretending he's some kind of pious saint lecturing the rest of us from his make-believe perch of moral superiority. Frankly - the guy makes me sick. He reminds me of the conservatives from the 1990's - stuck up and drunk on their own self righteousness. The sooner that irritating little shit is gone the better. So while I'm not much of a Warren fan - I would take her any day over that arrogant weasel.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
Boise, ID
That's one reason I like Sanders. He's more honest and admits taxes will go up on the Middle Class. But he also goes out of his way to stress that will be balanced out by the obvious fact you will no longer have an insurance premium to pay for.

I don't know why Warren is unwilling to say the same.
Probably because she understands Sanders' plan is unhinged. It's the health care equivalent of Ron Paul's "abolish the fed."

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.

That is the answer both Warren and Sanders have been giving, but it's still evasive, IMO. For one thing, people's healthcare spending varies widely and so a blanket response like that will ring false for many. I think they know that it could very well have a significant tax impact on the middle class, but they're reluctant to give any estimates in the hope of avoiding a "read my lips" soundbite.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
Probably because she understands Sanders' plan is unhinged. It's the health care equivalent of Ron Paul's "abolish the fed."
This doesn't even make sense because Warren endorses Sander's single-payer healthcare plan.

There is also nothing "unhinged" about moving to a National Healthcare Service. Most other developed democracies have already done it.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
Boise, ID
This doesn't even make sense because Warren endorses Sander's single-payer healthcare plan.

There is also nothing "unhinged" about moving to a National Healthcare Service. Most other developed democracies have already done it.
No they haven’t, and just because she’s endorsed it doesn’t mean she’s clueless about how unhinged it is.