Buttigieg wields his military credentials: 'It's not like I killed Bin Laden,' but it was dangerous

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Buttigieg wields his military credentials: 'It's not like I killed Bin Laden,' but it was dangerous

Chicago (CNN)Pete Buttigieg wields his military service as both a sword and a shield in his race for the White House. Whether he's reassuring voters about his experience for office or quieting anti-gay protesters, Afghanistan is often his answer.
His six years as an intelligence officer in the Naval Reserves, along with a six-month deployment to Afghanistan, makes a gold-plated resume not only shine brighter, but with an air of validation.
The 37-year-old mayor of South Bend, Indiana, is part of a new generation of leaders who came of age after the terror attacks of September 11, 2001, and volunteered for service in Iraq and Afghanistan. He and two other presidential candidates, Democratic Reps. Tulsi Gabbard and Seth Moulton, are veterans of those wars.
It's a chapter of his life that he invokes at nearly every campaign stop, a piece of his biography that has become nearly as central to his presidential candidacy as his Midwestern roots or his time as mayor. He mentions his credentials to distinguish himself from not only most Democratic rivals, but also President Donald Trump.

"It helps me demonstrate the difference between how I'm oriented and how the current President is," Buttigieg said in an interview here Thursday about his military service. "We responded to the country's call to serve in very different ways."

Pete Buttigieg wields his military credentials: 'It's not like I killed Bin Laden,' but it was dangerous - CNNPolitics

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Do you think CNN would ever write such a fluff piece for a republican? lol I appreciate Pete's honesty that he was a desk job guy, seems the press wants to make his service like he said "like he killed bin laden" himself....

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal

Chicago (CNN)Pete Buttigieg wields his military service as both a sword and a shield in his race for the White House. Whether he's reassuring voters about his experience for office or quieting anti-gay protesters, Afghanistan is often his answer.
His six years as an intelligence officer in the Naval Reserves, along with a six-month deployment to Afghanistan, makes a gold-plated resume not only shine brighter, but with an air of validation.
The 37-year-old mayor of South Bend, Indiana, is part of a new generation of leaders who came of age after the terror attacks of September 11, 2001, and volunteered for service in Iraq and Afghanistan. He and two other presidential candidates, Democratic Reps. Tulsi Gabbard and Seth Moulton, are veterans of those wars.
It's a chapter of his life that he invokes at nearly every campaign stop, a piece of his biography that has become nearly as central to his presidential candidacy as his Midwestern roots or his time as mayor. He mentions his credentials to distinguish himself from not only most Democratic rivals, but also President Donald Trump.

"It helps me demonstrate the difference between how I'm oriented and how the current President is," Buttigieg said in an interview here Thursday about his military service. "We responded to the country's call to serve in very different ways."

Pete Buttigieg wields his military credentials: 'It's not like I killed Bin Laden,' but it was dangerous - CNNPolitics

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Do you think CNN would ever write such a fluff piece for a republican? lol I appreciate Pete's honesty that he was a desk job guy, seems the press wants to make his service like he said "like he killed bin laden" himself....
One of the guys that served NAVCENT FWD with me was rotating through Afghanistan. (We operated out of Qatar, but had a det in AFG) One night he had to take a leak and while he was on the can a rocket landed in his bunk. Luckily he wasn't there, but it goes to show that indirect fire is a real threat, even for folks that have desk jobs in places like Bagram.

I would imagine CNN would write something like this for more of an establishment type republican. Trump's over the top style, not to mention his continuously referring to the press as the enemy of the people, would put most journalists off I would think.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
One of the guys that served NAVCENT FWD with me was rotating through Afghanistan. (We operated out of Qatar, but had a det in AFG) One night he had to take a leak and while he was on the can a rocket landed in his bunk. Luckily he wasn't there, but it goes to show that indirect fire is a real threat, even for folks that have desk jobs in places like Bagram.

I would imagine CNN would write something like this for more of an establishment type republican. Trump's over the top style, not to mention his continuously referring to the press as the enemy of the people, would put most journalists off I would think.

Of course cheif, it was the way CNN was lauding him, that even he sees the media doing, Not suggesting they should or would print such a lofty article about trump, but about ANY republican.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Of course cheif, it was the way CNN was lauding him, that even he sees the media doing, Not suggesting they should or would print such a lofty article about trump, but about ANY republican.
It's hard to remember because we have had 2 years of Trump and 8 years of Obama... so it's been a good while since a conventional republican was in the whitehouse. But I think GWB got some credit for some of his humanitarian work in Africa. Nothing else really comes to mind... but since its 10 years+, it's not surprising.

Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive
The most dangerous thing Pete has done in the military is sword fighting with his boyfriends

Last edited:
Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
It's hard to remember because we have had 2 years of Trump and 8 years of Obama... so it's been a good while since a conventional republican was in the whitehouse. But I think GWB got some credit for some of his humanitarian work in Africa. Nothing else really comes to mind... but since its 10 years+, it's not surprising.

No it's not, Pete is not potus he's a candidate. When was the last time CNN wrote a fluff piece about a republican candidate (other than mccain)

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
No it's not, Pete is not potus he's a candidate. When was the last time CNN wrote a fluff piece about a republican candidate (other than mccain)
Funny how you have to qualify that. McCain was a republican. I did a google search using cnn republican fluff piece for my search words and came up with one from just 2 months ago. Justin Amash is the loneliest Republican in Congress - CNNPolitics

So it seems like CNN is not ignoring republicans for positive stories.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
What if... what if Trump is the new "conventional" Republican!?