Buttigieg's "Dougless Plan" to Attack Systemic Racism

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Lol @HCProf and I seem to do a hell of a lot more than you.

Who the fuck are you lecturing. ;)
How am I lecturing anyone? Simple asking - do we do nothing and let the cycles just continue?

And you know nothing about my background either.

I've of the mindest that all boats lift the tide

It's again, unfortunate that people who have "privilege" seem to get all the breaks.

Income inequality in this country is at an all-time high, btw.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
How many decades of Great Society are we into? We accomplished dependency, broken families, drug culture. Good job. Here's another multi billion.
You are correct about those programs, sir.

But the Small Business Administration, student loans and Farm Bureau are all examples of government programs that work.

It is POSSIBLE to do this well.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
All the time, its a wonderful thing.
Same here. I grew up in a mixed suburb in Michigan during a very robust middle class period of time. Most of the black families I grew up with worked for the auto companies. This is part of the problem...when our middle class declined if forced a lot of blacks back into poverty. I basically grew up color blind and as a result of that, I am able to see the warts and the good in all cultures and people. Not all humans are perfect. One of the best feelings a person can have is to receive a text message from a disadvantaged student standing next to a new car or a sold sign outside of a house while thanking you for making this happen.

Jan 2007
Wow - could you stereotype a group of people more?
Might be something to it considering the turmoil these areas are in. Decade after decade. Drugs and ambition and success don't work well together.
Some succeed out of their poverty and others take the easy path to failure. Skipping school and using drugs are decisions. No one's fault but their own. Maybe the family is a wreck.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Same here. I grew up in a mixed suburb in Michigan during a very robust middle class period of time. Most of the black families I grew up with worked for the auto companies. This is part of the problem...when our middle class declined if forced a lot of blacks back into poverty. I basically grew up color blind and as a result of that, I am able to see the warts and the good in all cultures and people. Not all humans are perfect. One of the best feelings a person can have is to receive a text message from a disadvantaged student standing next to a new car or a sold sign outside of a house while thanking you for making this happen.
For sure have seen a decline in good-paying middle-class jobs.

We don't invest in education as we used to 40 years ago

We need to change that. Education that will get people "up to speed" in the tech world we now live in.

Pete's idea about investing in science-related field is a good idea IMO.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Might be something to it considering the turmoil these areas are in. Decade after decade. Drugs and ambition and success don't work well together.
Some succeed out of their poverty and others take the easy path to failure.
That could be said of every race. You know that right?

Look at which states are having the biggest problems with the opioid addictions.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Again, what you are talking about is the cycle that has gone on for decades. Could those people make better decisions? Of course, they could.

But let me ask you a question. If you lived in a crappy white area, would you leave as soon as you got a good job? I think most people would say yes.

Investing in good education in black/poor communities is a good start IMO.
This cycle has also had a ton of cash allocated to it as well....without a return of investment for years if not decades. We try to invest in a good education, but when a teacher is threatened by a parent, they leave their jobs. Cleveland has a horrible time recruiting teachers. If they do find one, they will leave as soon as another position opens up somewhere else. We tried to import teachers from India a few years back with the hope of providing a good education. During the interview, the candidates were given scenarios of how they would handle certain behavioral problems and they all pretty much used corporal punishment as a solution. This would get them killed in some of these schools and the City dropped the recruitment project. Would you work in a violent area if you did not have too?

Reactions: THOR and bajisima
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
For sure have seen a decline in good-paying middle-class jobs.

We don't invest in education as we used to 40 years ago

We need to change that. Education that will get people "up to speed" in the tech world we now live in.

Pete's idea about investing in science-related field is a good idea IMO.
We spend more for education than any other first world country. Also working class and education go hand in hand. Most schools get huge percents from property tax bases and if there isnt a strong working class they cant afford the schools. We now have retirees who cant afford an increase in property tax and veto school budgets, so getting more money is futile.
U.S. education spending tops global list, study shows
The US spends more on education than other countries. Why is it falling behind?

Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Current Events