CAIN wins FLORIDA Straw poll

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I'm not sure what these straw polls are really worth though with such a limited amount of people participating and having to in this case pay $175 to do so.

Jun 2011
N/A
I'm not sure what these straw polls are really worth though with such a limited amount of people participating and having to in this case pay $175 to do so.
Me neither, but a psychological effect is definitely within the package...

Jun 2011
N/A
And activists tend to be more towards the extreme. I doubt if Cain could win the GOP primary.
From Politico:

"“I don’t believe Herman Cain will be the nominee, but I hope that standing for some of the more conservative candidates sends a message that I hope will be embraced,” explained Kevin McNevin, a delegate from Sarasota, at a Saturday breakfast hosted by the Perry campaign."

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
This straw poll was taken today after a Meet the Candidates type event that cost $175 to attend and that admission price comes with a vote. The only 3 candidates to show up and speak were Herman Cain, Rick Santorum, and Newt Gingrich. Judging from the results I'd say everyone who showed up to speak did better than I expect they would have otherwise.

Cain: 37%
Perry: 15%
Romney: 14%
Santorum: 11%
Paul: 10%
Gingrich: 9%
Huntsman: 2%
Bachmann: 2%

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/09/florida-straw-poll-2012-perry-romney-paul/1

Jun 2011
N/A
This straw poll was taken today after a Meet the Candidates type event that cost $175 to attend and that admission price comes with a vote. The only 3 candidates to show up and speak were Herman Cain, Rick Santorum, and Newt Gingrich. Judging from the results I'd say everyone who showed up to speak did better than I expect they would have otherwise.

Cain: 37%
Perry: 15%
Romney: 14%
Santorum: 11%
Paul: 10%
Gingrich: 9%
Huntsman: 2%
Bachmann: 2%

Cain upsets Perry at Florida straw poll
That is entirely correct. But straw polls can be used to gain or put the brakes on political momentum. See: Bachmann in IA.
Also, a straw poll result that is unexpected can slow down the "inevitability" of another candidate.
For this reason, straw polls can be used as political tools.