Calif. pot dispensaries told by feds to shut down

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
SAN FRANCISCO — Federal prosecutors are cracking down on some pot dispensaries in California, warning the stores that they must shut down in 45 days or face criminal charges and confiscation of their property even if they are operating legally under the state's 15-year-old medical marijuana law. In an escalation of the ongoing conflict between the U.S. government and the nation's burgeoning medical marijuana industry, at least 16 pot shops or their landlords received letters this week stating they are violating federal drug laws, even though medical marijuana is legal in California. The state's four U.S. attorneys were scheduled Friday to announce a broader coordinated crackdown.

Calif. pot dispensaries told to shut down - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

My question...does this violate the tenth amendment of the US Constitution

The Tenth Amendment (Amendment X) to the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, was ratified on December 15, 1791.[SUP][1][/SUP] The Tenth Amendment states the Constitution's principle of federalism by providing that powers not granted to the federal government nor prohibited to the states by the Constitution are reserved, respectively, to the states or the people.

Is this a power grab by the US Government? Personally, since Obama supports this, there is no way he will get my vote. He would rather turn US Citizens into criminal rather then reallise the tax oppertunity he's passing up.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Don't know what's going to happen, but it's an interesting standoff.

Reactions: One
Jan 2008
Vertiform City
Seems the feds are "thinning the herd", as it were. Word I'm getting is they're issuing letters to the low hanging fruit, like dispensaries that are too close to schools and pre-schools, that kind of thing. They're not bothering the larger well established collectives, at least that's what I'm hearing so far.

If they actually try that (bothering the larger well established collectives here in California), they're going to have a major battle on their hands. That's a 4 billion dollar a year industry, of which the state is presently collecting just under 10% and soon will probably collect more - and the state government is going to be very unhappy if the feds shut down a major source of revenue like that, especially in these hard times.

While I do strongly support legalization and compassionate use, I also think the feds maybe have a point, I mean, out here where we are in the San Fernando Valley there's a dispensary on every street corner. And I *love* mom-'n'-pop businesses, but there's kinda too many of 'em just now, and there's another new one springing up every time I blink my eyes. Some of 'em are getting top dollar too, and paying boulevard rents, that kind of thing (the clientele don't seem to mind). Others are more the genuine collectives with the truly needy patient population, and those by and large tend to be the older established institutions, whereas the people who are just in it for the money have a different aura about them.

Reactions: the watchman
Jan 2008
Vertiform City
Of course, a direct violation of the 10th Amendment.
There's so many holes and contradictions in this part of the law, it isn't even funny. One of these days the ACLU will get its head out of its butt and go after this issue seriously and with vigor (and funding) - but in the meantime, I was just speaking with a lawyer about something I read up here the other day, suggesting that medical marijuana patients somehow "voluntarily" give up their second amendment rights. He (the lawyer) started laughing so hard the coke came up through his nose, he was out of commission for 60 seconds or so... ;)

Then the only thing he said was, "well, being able to diagnose oneself with a mental illness - the law on that varies from state to state, but generally speaking the feds prohibit it because otherwise people could just claim they're crazy and get social security that way". And then he started talking about something else. So like, the whole concept was so legally ridiculous to him that it only merited a few seconds' worth of thought and consideration.

I think the feds have gone off the deep end. Personally I think our federal government has gone nuts. Obama and Holder especially, doing an about-face on something like this, is beyond the pale.

Now there should be no doubt whatsoever that Obama IS in fact a corporatist. This kinda seals the deal, don't it?

Reactions: One
Sep 2011
aMEEErica
There was a pot dispensary near me that the cops shut down for a week.

All the dispensary did, was have it where you go there and pay and they give you an address where you go to pick the pot up.

This worked pretty well and eventually the mayor told the cops to lay off.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Thx :)

Jul 2011
Detention Block AA-23
a) Repugnant stupidity

b) Obama = fail, campaign Obama != President Obama. There is no silver lining in this presidency