Calif. Student Punished for Saying ‘Bless You’

freecell

Former Staff
Jul 2006
Cary
Calif. Student Punished for Saying

Rather than issue the student a warning for his alleged offense, Cuckovich decided to take 25 points off the student’s grade, the better to deter other students from mouthing “bless you” or other religious phrases the offend the teacher’s sensibility.“The blessing really doesn’t make sense anymore,” Cuckovich explained. “When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body. So they were saying, ‘God bless you,’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, what you’re doing really doesn’t make sense.”

So he said "bless you" after a student sneezed and got 25 points off his grade? No really this teacher needs to be fired or reviewed for her actions. People that are non-religious some say the same thing.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more

Rather than issue the student a warning for his alleged offense, Cuckovich decided to take 25 points off the student’s grade, the better to deter other students from mouthing “bless you” or other religious phrases the offend the teacher’s sensibility.“The blessing really doesn’t make sense anymore,” Cuckovich explained. “When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body. So they were saying, ‘God bless you,’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, what you’re doing really doesn’t make sense.”

So he said "bless you" after a student sneezed and got 25 points off his grade? No really this teacher needs to be fired or reviewed for her actions. People that are non-religious some say the same thing.
Calm down. The article clearly states that the issue was reviewed by the Principal and deemed inappropriate.

Reactions: Hollywood
Jan 2007
Irrelevant
Calm down. The article clearly states that the issue was reviewed by the Principal and deemed inappropriate.
Calm down?

The sort of punishment isn't even the issue. What makes the teacher think he is in any position to judge common etiquette, eh? If I were to point out one's stupidity, common etiquette requires I say 'pardon me, but you're stupid'.

Duh?

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!

Rather than issue the student a warning for his alleged offense, Cuckovich decided to take 25 points off the student’s grade, the better to deter other students from mouthing “bless you” or other religious phrases the offend the teacher’s sensibility
The news report I watched didn't say it had to do with repressing religious phrases. The teacher was attempting to quell distractions by his students when one would sneeze, another would say "God bless you", the sneezer responded "Thank you", the blesser replied "You're welcome" then someone else would sneeze and the cycle started over again. Yes, I think it was draconian and inappropriate to doc them points for this behavior.

I suspect it was a pet peeve of the teacher and the kids knew it so they were jerking his chain until he overreacted, but that's just a guess. I see no secret plan here to eliminate the Christian Religion by the forces of Evil. Just an idiot teacher and a classroom full of typical kids.

Nov 2010
Is this story even true? It seems so incredible that a teacher would punish a student for saying bless you. I'm not religious at all and I still say that to people. It's just a common courtesy. Unless the kid said it in an obnoxious way, or when people didn't sneeze, or really loudly. If hte kid really was punished, there is likely more to the story.

Plus, considering the source, I'm willing to bet this is fabricated bullshit and outrage so the poor persecuted Christian majority can somehow claim they are being persecuted

Reactions: Dangermouse

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Okay, scale of 1 to 10... how mad is this supposed to make me?