California to require solar panels on most new homes

Sep 2013
On a hill
It's the first state where the renewable energy is mandatory.

Jon Fingas, [MENTION=2239]jon[/MENTION]fingas
19h ago in Green

There's no question that solar power is entering the mainstream, but California is about to give it a giant boost. The state's Energy Commission is expected to approve new energy standards that would require solar panels on the roofs of nearly all new homes, condos and apartment buildings from 2020 onward. There will be exemptions for homes that either can't fit solar panels or would be blocked by taller buildings or trees, but you'll otherwise have to go green if your property is brand new.

snip

The new standards are poised to hike construction costs by $25,000 to $30,000 (about half of which is directly due to solar), but the self-produced energy is estimated to save owners $50,000 to $60,000 in operating costs over the solar technology's expected 25-year lifespan.

snip

Even so, this could change the landscape for both California's energy and the market as a whole. Right now, no more than 20 percent of new single-family homes in California include solar power. Boost that by five times and that's a lot more business for panel makers and installers. That, in turn, could reduce the costs of panels and make solar more affordable in many places, not just in California or even the US.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/06/california-to-require-solar-panels-on-most-new-homes/

Reactions: 5 people
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This might backfire.

All the Bible Belt states might respond by making fossil fuels mandatory.
Or not let homes sell back solar to the utility. We have limits on net metering so for many its not worth it.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
As battery storage improves, that could change too.
True. Our problem around here is everything is "historic" and they dont like to put anything new up. There are historical societies here that wont even let owners put new energy efficient windows in or vinyl siding. Everything has to be remade like its 1600 or whatever.

Sep 2014
South FL
Of course the solar industry cannot actually convince enough people to purchase their products, even with generous installation subsidies, so just make a law requiring it of course. This epitomizes corporate welfare/crony capitalism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Sep 2013
On a hill
Reactions: 7 people
Sep 2016
My own world
True. Our problem around here is everything is "historic" and they dont like to put anything new up. There are historical societies here that wont even let owners put new energy efficient windows in or vinyl siding. Everything has to be remade like its 1600 or whatever.
I’m all for keeping the architectural integrity but surely energy efficient windows made to look as much as possible as belonging to the times could be made an exception as well as making an exception for needed fire and smoke alarms and updated electrical, heating and cooling systems. I don’t understand why the bones of the project can’t be kept while updating the guts? I am also of that opinion when it comes to classic cars even though collectors think that’s a NO NO. I’ve seen Cuba take a 1950s car and keep the exterior and interior stay true while updating everything else to revival a car from 2018.

Reactions: 1 person