California turning Liberals into Republicans on one issue (Mandatory Vaccinations)

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
My wife is liberal in many ways, but on vaccination she is more individual rights, than community rights, if that makes sense.

Yesterday Newsom signed into law SB276, which starting net year will limit doctors to signing for 5 medical exemptions per year or be subject to state investigation, cancel all existing exemptions at the end of 6th grade for us. I think that sort of combines grades into blocks, so cancels exemptions at the end of elementary, middle, and high school... or some such thing. My older son has been recommended not to vaccinate due to developmental issues, and then my younger son also, though just because of being related to my older son. I also have a brother that was mentally changed overnight when vaccinated. I hate to say crippled... but the difference was night and day, and now at 30 he is self sufficient, but slow... sort of sounds like a pot head, though he's never touched it.

But in any case, in spite of having two family members that have issues and are at risk, SB276 is pretty draconian, leaving us with no public school option 4 years from now. And my wife, a naturalized citizen, born in Paris, and as Liberal as you'd expect a French person to be, just re-registered as a Republican. She is active online with other parents, many of whom have had terrible outcomes from vaccinating one or more of their children, including some deaths... and many are saying the same thing. The Republicans all voted against it. The Democrats all voted for it. And this issue is more important than any other of their political concerns.

I am sure that the pro vaccination types outnumber the folks who are either anti vaccination or other (pro choice, delayed / spread out schedules, etc)…. but I think there are enough in the anti group, that if many of them changed, it would make the GOP a threat in California.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
My wife is liberal in many ways, but on vaccination she is more individual rights, than community rights, if that makes sense.

Yesterday Newsom signed into law SB276, which starting net year will limit doctors to signing for 5 medical exemptions per year or be subject to state investigation, cancel all existing exemptions at the end of 6th grade for us. I think that sort of combines grades into blocks, so cancels exemptions at the end of elementary, middle, and high school... or some such thing. My older son has been recommended not to vaccinate due to developmental issues, and then my younger son also, though just because of being related to my older son. I also have a brother that was mentally changed overnight when vaccinated. I hate to say crippled... but the difference was night and day, and now at 30 he is self sufficient, but slow... sort of sounds like a pot head, though he's never touched it.

But in any case, in spite of having two family members that have issues and are at risk, SB276 is pretty draconian, leaving us with no public school option 4 years from now. And my wife, a naturalized citizen, born in Paris, and as Liberal as you'd expect a French person to be, just re-registered as a Republican. She is active online with other parents, many of whom have had terrible outcomes from vaccinating one or more of their children, including some deaths... and many are saying the same thing. The Republicans all voted against it. The Democrats all voted for it. And this issue is more important than any other of their political concerns.

I am sure that the pro vaccination types outnumber the folks who are either anti vaccination or other (pro choice, delayed / spread out schedules, etc)…. but I think there are enough in the anti group, that if many of them changed, it would make the GOP a threat in California.
I have a very liberal friend and she said the vaccination issue and charter schools would make her switch to a republican. She is vehemently opposed to mandatory vaccination as she has had family made sick due to vaccinations and they have their kids in a STEM charter school. It is a very controversial issue. A losing one too.

Reactions: Chief
Nov 2013
NY

Hmm. I don't think the first introduction sentence makes a lot of sense, actually.

The "I decide about vaccination myself" is a HIGHLY liberal position, and very 'non-conservative'.
Yet, as absurd as this is, being so highly liberal and left leaning on this topic, might actually drive such folks to vote against everything else they believe in, based on that one single issue, and going against everything they ever believed in, up to and including voting for Trump.
And while I do not support that single0-issue stance and throwing out the baby with the bathwater... it might just be what happens, and I think they (California, the "scientist, who know what vaccination does good for society) should not budge on this issue.

Reactions: BigBob

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Hmm. I don't think the first introduction sentence makes a lot of sense, actually.

The "I decide about vaccination myself" is a HIGHLY liberal position, and very 'non-conservative'.
Yet, as absurd as this is, being so highly liberal and left leaning on this topic, might actually drive such folks to vote against everything else they believe in, based on that one single issue, and going against everything they ever believed in, up to and including voting for Trump.
And while I do not support that single0-issue stance and throwing out the baby with the bathwater... it might just be what happens, and I think they (California, the "scientist, who know what vaccination does good for society) should not budge on this issue.

A very strange metaphor you are choosing, considering the parents who have had their own children crippled or killed by vaccinations. This issue is a one size fits all solution and it will never work for 30M people, who all have their own unique situations.

Reactions: ripskater
Mar 2019
"US" of A
I have a very liberal friend and she said the vaccination issue and charter schools would make her switch to a republican. She is vehemently opposed to mandatory vaccination as she has had family made sick due to vaccinations and they have their kids in a STEM charter school. It is a very controversial issue. A losing one too.
Nothing a little multidrug resistant TB outbreak won't fix.

Jan 2018
The greatest place in America, California
Polio was eliminated by a vaccine. I remember iron lungs and the children living, ha ha, inside them. Measles also was fairly rampant as a child and now there is almost none except for the unvaccinated who propagate the disease. I have been vaccinated and know all my school friends were back in the early 50's. No one died and no one got mentally retarded from them. I support mandatory vaccination!!

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Vaccinations pretty much wiped out Smallpox , Measels , Whooping Cough ,polio ,and other deadly infectious diseases.
I wonder how much of that happened because of improved hygiene?

Aparently the reality america crowd has forgotten.
No matter how great it is that other people are doing fine, that's no consolation to parents that have buried their own children due to a vaccination issue.

Here's a real person who has suffered a vaccine injury to her child.

Reactions: ripskater