California turning Liberals into Republicans on one issue (Mandatory Vaccinations)

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
I also have a brother that was mentally changed overnight when vaccinated. I hate to say crippled... but the difference was night and day, and now at 30 he is self sufficient, but slow... sort of sounds like a pot head, though he's never touched it.
Sounds like you really don't know anyone who smokes pot.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Nothing a little multidrug resistant TB outbreak won't fix.
For those who are "certain" that vaccinations are causing adverse reactions it's a damned if you do and just as likely damned if you don't situation. Measles and mumps reared their contagious heads last season, did it go away or will it be worse this year. Tetanus is 100% fatal if you get it. Flu season is coming up, even in a slow year, it kills thousands. Now we have the mosquito borne EEE coming very quickly into play, there is no vaccination for that or ebola which is on the rise again in several of the African nations. There are a lot of people on the planet, avoiding people is likely not an option. Antibiotics are failing us also, there are no new ones on the horizon. It's not a matter of if, it's when, the shit storm is coming, if we don't vaccinate it will probably be sooner than later. As I said at the start for some it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. But, to vote for Republican's on this one issue, that is the stupidest thing I can imagine.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
My wife is liberal in many ways, but on vaccination she is more individual rights, than community rights, if that makes sense.

Yesterday Newsom signed into law SB276, which starting net year will limit doctors to signing for 5 medical exemptions per year or be subject to state investigation, cancel all existing exemptions at the end of 6th grade for us. I think that sort of combines grades into blocks, so cancels exemptions at the end of elementary, middle, and high school... or some such thing. My older son has been recommended not to vaccinate due to developmental issues, and then my younger son also, though just because of being related to my older son. I also have a brother that was mentally changed overnight when vaccinated. I hate to say crippled... but the difference was night and day, and now at 30 he is self sufficient, but slow... sort of sounds like a pot head, though he's never touched it.

But in any case, in spite of having two family members that have issues and are at risk, SB276 is pretty draconian, leaving us with no public school option 4 years from now. And my wife, a naturalized citizen, born in Paris, and as Liberal as you'd expect a French person to be, just re-registered as a Republican. She is active online with other parents, many of whom have had terrible outcomes from vaccinating one or more of their children, including some deaths... and many are saying the same thing. The Republicans all voted against it. The Democrats all voted for it. And this issue is more important than any other of their political concerns.

I am sure that the pro vaccination types outnumber the folks who are either anti vaccination or other (pro choice, delayed / spread out schedules, etc)…. but I think there are enough in the anti group, that if many of them changed, it would make the GOP a threat in California.
There would have to be an exemption for children who have medical conditions and pediatricians advised parents not to vaccinate. We need to preserve herd immunity to protect children who cannot receive vaccines for various reasons. The problem is, people are choosing not to vaccinate without valid reasons and herd immunity is breaking down. If it falls under 90%, epidemics can break out.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Right, well... it's always nice to see blind devotion in something, but for my family, I'll chose to not roll the dice with my children.
If they can't tolerate the vaccine they can't. But, you are rolling the dice, not just for your children but for other children as well. What is at issue is lets say your child gets measles and fortunately survives, measles is hardly a death sentence however, another child contracts the illness and dies. If people don't vaccinate then there needs to be policies put in place to minimize the risks for your family as well as other families. I'm not sure just how aware today's adults are regarding how interesting and challenging the future is going to be for their children.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
I think it makes sense for public school attendance, beyond that it does dip into darker territory.
All it'd take is for one carrier kid at Disneyland to take out a Small World, afterall.
At least Disneyland is largely outdoors. Imagine an airplane where everybody is breathing recirculated air.