California turning Liberals into Republicans on one issue (Mandatory Vaccinations)

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
If I roll the dice on the 1/10000 vaccine, it does not 100% negate the risk of the disease either... so it's not exactly either taking one risk or taking the other.
It's stupidly hilarious when you think about it.

Vaccines are 100% effective in preventing disease, but if a person refuses to take the vaccine then they are putting vaccinated people at risk.

I can't even think a stupid enough analogy.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
There would have to be an exemption for children who have medical conditions and pediatricians advised parents not to vaccinate. We need to preserve herd immunity to protect children who cannot receive vaccines for various reasons. The problem is, people are choosing not to vaccinate without valid reasons and herd immunity is breaking down. If it falls under 90%, epidemics can break out.
Herd immunity... lmao. you might be a sheep.

This is the piss poor logic they use for propaganda. There's NOTHING to support your claim that "below 90% vaccination and outbreaks occur", that is a baseless claim with zero supporting evidence.

I MEAN NOTHING! It's literally a drug company claim.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
My wife is liberal in many ways, but on vaccination she is more individual rights, than community rights, if that makes sense.

Yesterday Newsom signed into law SB276, which starting net year will limit doctors to signing for 5 medical exemptions per year or be subject to state investigation, cancel all existing exemptions at the end of 6th grade for us. I think that sort of combines grades into blocks, so cancels exemptions at the end of elementary, middle, and high school... or some such thing. My older son has been recommended not to vaccinate due to developmental issues, and then my younger son also, though just because of being related to my older son. I also have a brother that was mentally changed overnight when vaccinated. I hate to say crippled... but the difference was night and day, and now at 30 he is self sufficient, but slow... sort of sounds like a pot head, though he's never touched it.

But in any case, in spite of having two family members that have issues and are at risk, SB276 is pretty draconian, leaving us with no public school option 4 years from now. And my wife, a naturalized citizen, born in Paris, and as Liberal as you'd expect a French person to be, just re-registered as a Republican. She is active online with other parents, many of whom have had terrible outcomes from vaccinating one or more of their children, including some deaths... and many are saying the same thing. The Republicans all voted against it. The Democrats all voted for it. And this issue is more important than any other of their political concerns.

I am sure that the pro vaccination types outnumber the folks who are either anti vaccination or other (pro choice, delayed / spread out schedules, etc)…. but I think there are enough in the anti group, that if many of them changed, it would make the GOP a threat in California.
They handle every issue the same way, by force.

Reactions: Chief and ripskater
Jul 2019
Atlanta
Herd immunity... lmao. you might be a sheep.

This is the piss poor logic they use for propaganda. There's NOTHING to support your claim that "below 90% vaccination and outbreaks occur", that is a baseless claim with zero supporting evidence.

I MEAN NOTHING! It's literally a drug company claim.
My shot card is 4 feet long..... to include cholera, Yellow Fever, typhoid, polio etc...

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
If they can't tolerate the vaccine they can't. But, you are rolling the dice, not just for your children but for other children as well. What is at issue is lets say your child gets measles and fortunately survives, measles is hardly a death sentence however, another child contracts the illness and dies. If people don't vaccinate then there needs to be policies put in place to minimize the risks for your family as well as other families. I'm not sure just how aware today's adults are regarding how interesting and challenging the future is going to be for their children.
I am all for accountability. I bet if drug manufacturers lost their blanket immunity, it would become financially worth it to check children for compatibility before vaccinating them. I understand the science of it, and I'm for it in principle. But since I saw what happened to my brother and since my son already has some issues, I'd like some sort of a test to make sure he'd be safe with it. That's all I want.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Having a genuine medical exemption is entirely different than having an ideological objection.
Unfortunately, in California they are going after the medical exemptions. And on reflection, I can understand Ripskater's concern about vaccines that may be made or derived in some way from stem cells or whatever. Even if I don't have the same view, I can see how that could be hard to accept as a Christian.

Last edited:
Reactions: bajisima

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Having a genuine medical exemption is entirely different than having an ideological objection.
Not always.

If, for example, you have a family history which raises your likelyhood of having an autoimmune disease and you preform an elimination diet which remedies your symptoms you still would be required to go through potentially invasive testing to get a confirmation prior to qualifying for a "genuine medical exemption". Ideological exemptions are an end around for parents who want to avoid having their kids probed to confirm a diagnosis.

Reactions: Chief and ripskater