California's Facing More Rolling Blackouts, But Thank God They've Saved Us From Plastic Straws

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
How about putting all the Homeless to work cutting back the Brush and building firebreaks? Decent pay,of course.
Who's going to pay for this?

The blackouts are a result of PG&E not repairing their aging power lines & transformers. The wind causing them to fail is what starts the fires this time of year when everything is extremely dry.

Millions of Californians Lost Power Because PG&E Refused to Spend Money to Fix Its Problems

Add to that climate change is causing longer fire seasons. PG&E is worth 3 billion dollars. They should have been investing in their infrastructure years ago, but they chose not to and how everyone is suffering.

I just watched this recently & what I was puzzled about is why they don't use drones as firespotters instead relying on guys in trucks or helicopters to keep track of smaller fires. What happened there seemed incredibly unnecessary to me.

May 2019
The Wine Country
So it's eight in the morning on Saturday and here comes the Sonoma County Deputy. He didn't exchange pleasantries, he just said GO NOW.

And we went then. About 200,000 people hit the road and it was amazing. I didn't see an accident or a fight or any trouble at all. It was just a flow of people.

I don't have a tale of hardship. Friends got us a reservation at a hotel on San Francisco Bay and we spent five days eating room service and watching ghost stories on Travel Channel. I'm kind of embarrassed because a lot of people had hardship. But it is what it is.

And now the 49ers have taken the lead in Arizona and life is returning to normal.

CtC

Mar 2019
California

The blackouts are a result of PG&E not repairing their aging power lines & transformers. The wind causing them to fail is what starts the fires this time of year when everything is extremely dry.

Millions of Californians Lost Power Because PG&E Refused to Spend Money to Fix Its Problems

Add to that climate change is causing longer fire seasons. PG&E is worth 3 billion dollars. They should have been investing in their infrastructure years ago, but they chose not to and how everyone is suffering.

I just watched this recently & what I was puzzled about is why they don't use drones as firespotters instead relying on guys in trucks or helicopters to keep track of smaller fires. What happened there seemed incredibly unnecessary to me.
HAW! HAW! HAW! Who is going to PAY for this? HAW! HAW! HAW! ---Since you put it that way ,I will give a Dem answer. TAX the RICH ,of course.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
I stepped on a plastic straw yesterday. Thank god they're finally getting rid of those dangerous filthy things.
Oh no, microplastics are as I type, are circulating throughout your body and the bodies of your family members. And the rest of us for that matter. If you or someone you know develops a cancer or other environmental illness, mock that should it occur.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
SoCal

SCE just shut down power (planned shutdown) to 2500 homes in my town. We are not in a fire zone ... I've lived here since 1974, and no fires. All the shut downs were in residential areas with no open land or forest (or even many trees). The guy at SCE said that my area was shut down because of a fire in Malibu last year ... I don't live anywhere near Malibu ... when he finally shut his mouth long enuf for me to tell him I'm not in Malibu, he said he was looking at the location of a previous call. 36 hours power shut-off to 2500 people who are not in a fire zone ... and they tell us it's because they care about people to which I respond 'you care about your bottom line' as they just doubled their "distribution" charges to residential customers.

Last edited:
Sep 2016
My own world
Oh no, microplastics are as I type, are circulating throughout your body and the bodies of your family members. And the rest of us for that matter. If you or someone you know develops a cancer or other environmental illness, mock that should it occur.
True, I personally know someone who has been studying marine biology for years now. He tells me the increase in plastic in edible fish is alarming. It has to eventually have an effect on humans that consume fish over the years. It can not not have an effect.

Reactions: Friday13
Sep 2019
dfw, texas

This is the sort of fate in store for the rest of the nation if progressive morons have their way
pretty funny. some trump voters believe long persistent droughts that dry up brush and trees and make them susceptible as hell to fires, either from careless humans or from lightning strikes or from overhead power lines helping create more fires so blackouts have to be established in risk areas to help prevent these wind and drought driven flash fires from occurring, is somehow due to California's law about soda straws. pretty funny. especially when the facts are known to those of us who can read a newspaper and not rely on what Fox spews-

since about 60% of all the forested lands in California are under federal control, including most of the rugged tree and brush country being devastated by wildfires, and a large percentage of what is left over is owned by private citizens, it is hard to pin these wildfires down on what the state of California does or does not do when it comes to what steps it takes on the land it controls. Has anyone ever heard of the incredible drought involved in these wildfires? I believe a rational person would blame the massive wildfires first and foremost on THE INCREDIBLY LONG AND PERSISTENT DROUGHT IN THOSE AREAS before you move on to whether or not anybody raked the forest, like trump so stupidly talked about the last time he was there.

Majority of California's forests managed by feds; scientist says ...

https://www.ktvu.com › news › majority-of-californias-forests-managed-by-f...

Nov 13, 2018 - The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection has ... the federal government, manages more land than the state of California.

California agencies fought fires on federal land. Now Trump ...

https://www.theguardian.com › us-news › may › california-agencies-fough...

May 23, 2019 - “As you know, around 60% of forested land in California is owned by the federal government,” Feinstein wrote. ... The Forest Service's audit comes after Donald Trump repeatedly blamed California's forest management for the wildfires that killed dozens last year.

California Fires Now Rage All Year as Drought Creates ...

https://www.bloomberg.com › news › articles › california-fires-burn-all-ye...

Jan 17, 2019 - Global warming has intensified California's cyclical droughts, leaving the land riddled with pockets of dry brush that persist even amid winter ...

Study cites longer dry spells as fueling U.S. wildfires - Reuters

https://www.reuters.com › article › us-usa-wildfires-climate › study-cites-lo...

Aug 20, 2018 - Less rain and longer droughts are the major cause behind larger and ... California is marking one of the most destructive fire seasons on record. ... years of drought-stricken vegetation and stoked by frequent and persistent ...
California Drought Expands, Fueling Heat and Fire | Climate ...

https://www.climatecentral.org › news › california-drought-expands-fuelin...

Jan 16, 2014 - A map showing the extent of drought in California as of January 14. ... A persistent ridge of high pressure, which set up last year and hasn't moved ... Shasta Lake and Oroville, California's two largest reservoirs, are at ... The fire, which was likely caused by an errant campfire, spread rapidly through the hills.

Trump Suggests Not Raking Leaves Is Bigger Cause of ...

https://www.newsweek.com › ... › Star › Blame › Climate › Management

Nov 16, 2018 - Fires that have burned across the state of California for more than a week destroyed hundreds of thousands of acres of land and threatened ...

Trump Suggests California Wildfires Can Be Avoided by 'Raking'

https://earther.gizmodo.com › trump-suggests-california-wildfires-can-be-a...

Nov 17, 2018 - President Donald Trump traveled to Northern California this weekend to ... Trump has consistently blamed the fires on “gross mismanagement” of ... One thing's for sure: “Raking” isn't going to solve California's fire problem, .

Trump Repeatedly Errs on California Wildfires - FactCheck.org

https://www.factcheck.org › 2018/11 › trump-repeatedly-errs-on-california...

Nov 20, 2018 - ... President Donald Trump has inaccurately blamed the state's forest management ... Trump has a history of critiquing California for its frequent wildfires, but his ... Finland does have fewer severe forest fires, but they do not rake as a fire ... The forests there have generally not burned enough over the last ...