California's Prop 47 Leads to Rise in Shoplifting, Thefts, Criminal Activity

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
SAN FRANCISCO – In a lighted garage on one of San Francisco's busiest streets, a young man in baggy trousers and messy brown hair pulled down his pants. He had been hiding two pairs of stolen jeans with the tags still on them. He handed them to another man waiting nearby, took some money, pulled up his pants and headed back into another store on Market Street — home to the city's high-end designers and big-chain retail shops.

The incident wasn't a one-off. These brazen acts of petty theft and shoplifting are a dangerous and all-too-common consequence of Proposition 47, a referendum passed five years ago that critics say effectively gives shoplifters and addicts the green light to commit crimes as long as the merchandise they steal or the drugs they take are less than $950 in value.

Over in the City by the Bay's famous Tenderloin district, Cassie, a 21-year-old mother of two and a former heroin junkie, told Fox News that when times were tough, she too has stolen from stores.

"If my babies need diapers or formula, who is going to get that for me? No one. I have to do it," she said. "They ain't out here arresting people for (shoplifting) and everyone knows it."

Another clear example of how Leftist Policies ALWAYS lead to Death and Destruction and how almost ALL big blue run cities turn into 3rd world sh*tholes.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
The problem with the OP is that it offers no evidence. It makes lots of claims, but it provides no evidence to support those claims beyond interviews with individual retailers and a very generalized claim about how one city compares to other cities. There's no actual evidence that crime has increased anywhere in CA (it's not like every state and the DOJ doesn't keep official statistic for this kind of thing). The claim that whatever they haven't actually proven is linked to Prop 47 is a post hoc ego propter hoc fallacy.

I'd love to see a substantiated argument about this. In the meantime, CA had to do something about its overcrowded prison system, which is under a federal judge's order to decrease the prison population.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
The problem with the OP is that it offers no evidence. It makes lots of claims, but it provides no evidence to support those claims beyond interviews with individual retailers and a very generalized claim about how one city compares to other cities. There's no actual evidence that crime has increased anywhere in CA (it's not like every state and the DOJ doesn't keep official statistic for this kind of thing). The claim that whatever they haven't actually proven is linked to Prop 47 is a post hoc ego propter hoc fallacy.

I'd love to see a substantiated argument about this. In the meantime, CA had to do something about its overcrowded prison system, which is under a federal judge's order to decrease the prison population.
There is plenty of evidence in the OP, including the fact that among the nation's 20 largest cities, San Francisco now has the highest rate of property crime, which includes theft, shoplifting and vandalism.

You are simply choosing not to acknowledge that evidence in favor of defending this Leftist insanity.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
There is plenty of evidence in the OP, including the fact that among the nation's 20 largest cities, San Francisco now has the highest rate of property crime, which includes theft, shoplifting and vandalism.
I acknowledged that single fact in the OP, but even that has no attribution. Where did they get that statistic, and how has that statistic changed over time? Any evidence of change after passing Prop 47?

You are simply choosing not to acknowledge that evidence in favor of defending this Leftist insanity.
No, I'm looking at your article for something substantial to hold on to, and there isn't anything. Not a single fact is substantiated by any source. There are interviews with people who are mad about something, but nothing else. If that's not true, please point out where any data comes from.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I acknowledged that single fact in the OP, but even that has no attribution. Where did they get that statistic, and how has that statistic changed over time? Any evidence of change after passing Prop 47?

No, I'm looking at your article for something substantial to hold on to, and there isn't anything. Not a single fact is substantiated by any source. There are interviews with people who are mad about something, but nothing else. If that's not true, please point out where any data comes from.
Don't look to me to argue against your Willful Ignorance.

I know that's a debate no one can win ... ;)

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Don't look to me to argue against your Willful Ignorance.

I know that's a debate no one can win ... ;)
If there's willful ignorance going on it's yours. I'm examining the article critically. It's not my fault if you are incapable of this. And no, you won't win a debate when you have only highly impeachable sources that you can't actually defend.

I'm perfectly willing to have a debate, based on FACTS. You appear to be running away from any challenge whatever.

Nov 2018
Maryland
This is what we've come to expect when the progressives are in charge. They have a knack for making things worse.

When you give criminals leverage, they are bound to use it to their advantage, and to the disadvantage to everybody else.

California's Proposition 47: Crime and No Consequences ...
After Proposition 47: Crime and No Consequences in California | National Review
After Proposition 47: Crime and No Consequences in California. In fact, Magnus Lofstrom, a researcher at the Public Policy Institute of California, pointed to a 12 percent jump in larceny-theft (essentially, unlawfully taking someone's property) in the state immediately after Proposition 47 took effect.

• Haha
Reactions: BigBob