Cameras in fitting rooms in stores, legal?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I just read that it is widespread in Russia, apparently, security cameras that film right into the booths in fitting/changing areas

Even in ladies' underwear stores

lol

Apparently NOT illegal over there, and they justify it by the fact that, it seems, there is lots of theft via the dressing rooms (people putting own multiple layers of clothing from the store under their own, etc; they have also caught young couples having sex in the stalls (not sure what the attraction to that is, apparently it is an adventure for them haha)

Store security guards over there have a very interesting job, for sure

;)

At least they DO have honest signs in the dressing rooms, openly warning people that they are on camera

One life-hack some have over there, is bring a big umbrella, and cover yourself from curious eyes from above that way

Again, there's NO law about this stuff over there, so, while you cannot ask the store to shut off the camera, they, technically, cannot tell you to put away the umbrella either :D

Don't recon this would happen here, in Canada. Privacy laws and regulations much stricter here. And thank God for that, frankly...

• Love
Reactions: the bull59
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Somewhere, way back in the depths of my brain, I remember there was an American 80s sitcom starring a large black woman. I don't remember the name of the show, actress or character.

And there was one episode where she got the job of watching the changing room cctv camera.

Why would my brain remember this? And not what I had for dinner yesterday?

Reactions: The Man
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Atta boy, brain. You did it.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Atta boy, brain. You did it.

lol I want to check that one out now, sounds fun...

Nov 2015
UK
I just read that it is widespread in Russia, apparently, security cameras that film right into the booths in fitting/changing areas

Even in ladies' underwear stores

lol

Apparently NOT illegal over there, and they justify it by the fact that, it seems, there is lots of theft via the dressing rooms (people putting own multiple layers of clothing from the store under their own, etc; they have also caught young couples having sex in the stalls (not sure what the attraction to that is, apparently it is an adventure for them haha)

Store security guards over there have a very interesting job, for sure

;)

At least they DO have honest signs in the dressing rooms, openly warning people that they are on camera

One life-hack some have over there, is bring a big umbrella, and cover yourself from curious eyes from above that way

Again, there's NO law about this stuff over there, so, while you cannot ask the store to shut off the camera, they, technically, cannot tell you to put away the umbrella either :D

Don't recon this would happen here, in Canada. Privacy laws and regulations much stricter here. And thank God for that, frankly...
Blimey, TDS kicks in at post #2!!

Surely it would be illegal to have cameras pointing into fitting rooms. If word gets out which shops spy on you in the fitting rooms, I imagine their sales would drop.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Blimey, TDS kicks in at post #2!!

Surely it would be illegal to have cameras pointing into fitting rooms. If word gets out which shops spy on you in the fitting rooms, I imagine their sales would drop.
Not over there, where pretty much all stores do it. People, women especially, have no choice. If uncomfortable, again, bring an umbrella, or a towel or something, to cover yourself up...