Can a political ideology be a mental disorder?

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I "made up" gender spectrum? Some one certainly made it up, just not me. I just point out the insanity of it. Are you coming around?
you haven't actually explained what's so insane about? Either way you're telling other people what they support. That's a little crazy .

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Either way you're telling other people what they support. That's a little crazy.
Or it is just the ordinary delusion that one is telepathic and, claiming to know what others think, can then set up the straw man to knock down without ever having to deal with reality, including real people.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I.Robot was Asimov's best work.
That is saying a lot ... there is the Foundation series, then the remaining "robot" short stories, and the robot novels, and the "Galactic Empire" novels (Pebble in the Sky; The Stars, Like Dust; The Currents of Space). Then there was The End of Eternity. You get the idea...

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Yes. Absolutely.

What's also interesting is the cultural ways that people with mild or medium "obsessions" are lead.

In the UK and Japan people with aspergers or types of autism quite frequently get obsessed with trains. But that's not nearly as common anywhere else. In other cultures it's angels and demons, in others it's money.

In the US it's often the President.

It's interesting, but can also be really sad.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
it's an accusation that comes from both sides. Left or Right.
Liberalism: True Political Ideology or Mental Disorder?
Conservatism as a Mental Illness
https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/science-says-liberal-beliefs-are-linked-to-pyschotic-traits/

There's more less boring to read information ......

Unconscious Reactions Separate Liberals and Conservatives

Of course, there's also anecdotal evidence. For instance, one might , as a liberal, notice that when ever they try to have a rational discussion about politics with a conservative they always seem to say crazy things. Examples might actually be that "liberalism is a mental health disorder". For instance, from one of the sources about ( the first one ).... That's nuts.

It's a complex topic.

Care to add anything to it?
Political ideology is not and cannot be a mental disorder. They just are not the same thing at all. People who have strong political views/attitudes/assumptions can have mental illnesses, but that does not make the political views a mental disorder.

Also, people who have extremely strong, extremely passionate political views/attitudes tend to come across as kind of radical and emotionally unstable, but one cannot project that presentation onto the entire half or quadrant of the political spectrum/matrix that they're occupying.

Jan 2007
Really anyone with any politics can be mentally ill. But I do think many people on the left now have a depraved mind talked about in Romans 1. Just because of all the evil they support.

Worship of Mueller until he doesn't deliver the proper outcome. Yet the collusion psychosis continues.