Can a prom dress be racist?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Thoughts about this?

A Utah teen stands by her decision to wear a traditional Chinese dress to her prom, a move panned by some as cultural appropriation but embraced by others.

Keziah Daum said she won't give in to pressure and delete an April 22 Twitter post showing her posing with her prom date in the red cheongsam, or qipao. "To everyone causing so much negativity," she tweeted. "I mean no disrespect to the Chinese culture. I'm simply showing my appreciation to their culture. I'm not deleting my post because I've done nothing but show my love for the culture."

Daum told the Washington Post she found the dress in a vintage store in Salt Lake City and found it "absolutely beautiful" adding it gave her a "sense of appreciation and admiration for other cultures and their beauty." Not everyone saw it the same way as Daum, who is not Chinese. "My culture is NOT your god**** prom dress," wrote tweeter Jeremy Lam. Added @JeannieBeanie99, "This isn't ok. I wouldn't wear a traditional Korean, Japanese or any other traditional dress and I'm Asian. I wouldn't wear traditional Irish or Swedish or Greek dress either. There's a lot of history behind these clothes."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/01/chinese-prom-dress-draws-rage-but-utah-student-said-she-meant-no-harm/567846002/

Reactions: 6 people
May 2016
Florida
The issue with culture appropriation, in my opinion, is not the use of another's culture per se, but the use of the culture, then the denigration of that culture when speaking about different issues.

An extreme example would be someone wearing cornrows, but then that person says blacks should go back to africa.

I dont see where this girl did anything of the sort, so I dont agree that she is appropriating the Chinese culture.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The issue with culture appropriation, in my opinion, is not the use of another's culture per se, but the use of the culture, then the denigration of that culture when speaking about different issues.

An extreme example would be someone wearing cornrows, but then that person says blacks should go back to africa.

I dont see where this girl did anything of the sort, so I dont agree that she is appropriating the Chinese culture.
Yea I agree. Have also seen many of these types of dresses and blouses as well so I also assume quite a few others may have bought them and not even realized the significance as well.

Reactions: DairyHeiress

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Clothing, within reason, should always be OK to experiment with, unless you're obviously attempting to make a mockery of someone's culture.

Makeup and hair is a little different, you have to be careful with it, or else risk looking insensitive and just plain stupid.

No white person should be wearing cornrows, for example. Ever. It's just not correct.

Reactions: DairyHeiress
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
There is nothing wrong with this young woman's dress.

The problem is she is white and beautiful.

We all know how much the left hates beautiful women.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader

I have trouble with the whole idea of cultural appropriation. It does not make sense that one culture cannot absorb and adopt ideas and practices of another culture that it finds desirable.

Of course, there are those who think a "greater" culture should not do so (which makes no sense), but that belief is just a result of people who assert their cultural superiority (as an extension of personal superiority) in order to avoid an inferiority complex - i.e., not to be taken seriously.

We all know how much the left hates beautiful women.
Oh, grow up. This thread has nothing to do with politics.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
I have trouble with the whole idea of cultural appropriation. It does not make sense that one culture cannot absorb and adopt ideas and practices of another culture that it finds desirable.

Of course, there are those who think a "greater" culture should not do so (which makes no sense), but that belief is just a result of people who assert their cultural superiority (as an extension of personal superiority) in order to avoid an inferiority complex - i.e., not to be taken seriously.

Oh, grow up. This thread has nothing to do with politics.
What?

Cultural Appropriation is 100% political.

And, if you don't think the Left despises beautiful women then try reading some of the threads here on PH about Melania.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Thoughts about this?

A Utah teen stands by her decision to wear a traditional Chinese dress to her prom, a move panned by some as cultural appropriation but embraced by others.

Keziah Daum said she won't give in to pressure and delete an April 22 Twitter post showing her posing with her prom date in the red cheongsam, or qipao. "To everyone causing so much negativity," she tweeted. "I mean no disrespect to the Chinese culture. I'm simply showing my appreciation to their culture. I'm not deleting my post because I've done nothing but show my love for the culture."

Daum told the Washington Post she found the dress in a vintage store in Salt Lake City and found it "absolutely beautiful" adding it gave her a "sense of appreciation and admiration for other cultures and their beauty." Not everyone saw it the same way as Daum, who is not Chinese. "My culture is NOT your god**** prom dress," wrote tweeter Jeremy Lam. Added @JeannieBeanie99, "This isn't ok. I wouldn't wear a traditional Korean, Japanese or any other traditional dress and I'm Asian. I wouldn't wear traditional Irish or Swedish or Greek dress either. There's a lot of history behind these clothes."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/01/chinese-prom-dress-draws-rage-but-utah-student-said-she-meant-no-harm/567846002/
These issues leave me cold. All that is wrong in this world, and people focus on clothing or jewelry or hairdos?

I'm not seeing the insulting intent here.