Can any democrat or leftist explain today's talking point?

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
I'm seeing it here, I'm hearing it on the news. it's "you don't wan't everyone counted in the census" because you want to ask the citizenship question.

How is recording immigration status on the census an attempt to "not count whole groups of people"?

Thanks in advance my friends.

Reactions: orangecat

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
you're saying you don't want everyone counted on the census? obviously if you include this question on the census you'll get a lot less responses, same as if you asked whether the respondent had unpaid parking tickets.

so you don't want the census to be accurate. right?

Reactions: the bull59

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
you're saying you don't want everyone counted on the census? obviously if you include this question on the census you'll get a lot less responses, same as if you asked whether the respondent had unpaid parking tickets.

so you don't want the census to be accurate. right?

I do, so if you don't ask the citizenship question, is it accurate or is it missing data?

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
I do, so if you don't ask the citizenship question, is it accurate or is it missing data?
It's missing data, same as it is if it doesn't have a question about whether you swear allegiance to the democratic party. if I don't ask that question on the census, i don't know whether you're a team player or not. so next time the dems are in power, i'm gonna get that question added.

also, i'd like to ask whether you served in the military, and whether you have a history of domestic violence. that's something else I'd like to know, because I think there's a correlation.

I mean as long as we're using the census and big government to conduct random surveys and gather "data," let's go whole hog. really get the job done.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
It's missing data, same as it is if it doesn't have a question about whether you swear allegiance to the democratic party. if I don't ask that question on the census, i don't know whether you're a team player or not. so next time the dems are in power, i'm gonna get that question added.

also, i'd like to ask whether you served in the military, and whether you have a history of domestic violence. that's something else I'd like to know, because I think there's a correlation.

I mean as long as we're using the census and big government to conduct random surveys and gather "data," let's go whole hog. really get the job done.

What implications would your example have on funding and other shit we do with census data, Why not immigration status....

If we don't need that information why would we need, age, race, ethnicity, religion, etc,? The citizen status seems precisely the kind of information one would collect on a census.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
What implications would your example have on funding and other shit we do with census data, Why not immigration status....

If we don't need that information why would we need, age, race, ethnicity, religion, etc,? The citizen status seems precisely the kind of information one would collect on a census.
Well, a veteran who's beating his wife is definitely going to cost the government money. The wife is going to need health care, and the shell-shocked veteran is going to need mental health care and supervision. That costs money. Also, I'd like to know how many veterans there are who are abusing their spouses and significant others, because if we need more policing and surveillance of veterans, that's going to need funding.

So I'll do that, and you do your citizenship thing. We cool?

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Red states require more government funding than blue states relative to their return on investment, so if you identify as conservative, i'd like to know that too.

Reactions: the bull59

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
I'm seeing it here, I'm hearing it on the news. it's "you don't wan't everyone counted in the census" because you want to ask the citizenship question.

How is recording immigration status on the census an attempt to "not count whole groups of people"?

Thanks in advance my friends.
Because we already know that it will make the count less accurate. Ergo, if you want to add the question even knowing that it will cause more people not to respond at all, then you are willingly making the count less accurate. We have more accurate ways of counting the undocumented, and the people pushing this question already know this, but they don't care because as they have stated their goal isn't to get a more accurate count—it's to give states with more Hispanic people less representation in congress, period.

You're welcome.