Can SCIENCE and RELIGION ever compliment eachother?

Mar 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
first we had religion!
for centuries, millennia people all over the world lived their lives in accord with the principles and teachings of an ancient book(s). whole entire nations and cultures were permeated by archaic philosphies and folktale.

then around half a millennia ago............. THE RENAISSANCE!
learned teachings based on fact and logical algorithms began to take hold of humanity. we learned that the earth was not flat, we learned the earth was not the centre of the universe.... we learned that our great grandparents were monkeys...

the big question is.... can religion and science ever be reconciled?? will science ever prove that god exists? can the JAMES WEBB telescope spot heaven?? or will religion retract certain views to be compatible with science?

[video=youtube;Aj8PlGMPZ1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj8PlGMPZ1U[/video]

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
At the current rate we are going in the US, science is going backward and religious dogma is taking over the country. We have far too many Theocrats and far to few Technocrats in this country.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
At the current rate we are going in the US, science is going backward and religious dogma is taking over the country. We have far too many Theocrats and far to few Technocrats in this country.
I think that's a misperception. Religious dogma isn't growing; it's losing followers, and those that remain are getting louder to compensate.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
first we had religion!
for centuries, millennia people all over the world lived their lives in accord with the principles and teachings of an ancient book(s). whole entire nations and cultures were permeated by archaic philosphies and folktale.

learned teachings based on fact and logical algorithms began to take hold of humanity. we learned that the earth was not flat, we learned the earth was not the centre of the universe.... we learned that our great grandparents were monkeys...

the big question is.... can religion and science ever be reconciled?? will science ever prove that god exists? can the JAMES WEBB telescope spot heaven?? or will religion retract certain views to be compatible with science?

People have had science for eons...not millennia. It was not vodoo that helped man concur fire.

It was not the ghost of a desert bush that helped man fashion tools of stone.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
the big question is.... can religion and science ever be reconciled??
I do not believe they need to be. They are entirely separate disciplines that have nothing to do with each other. They can co-exist.

will science ever prove that g-d exists?
No. The question of the existence or non-existence of G-d is a theological question, not a scientific one.

or will religion retract certain views to be compatible with science?
That depends on the religion, I would suppose. Some will not.

You realize you are citing the worse (or second-worst) Star Trek film? I could have done entirely without ST5:TFF, and its absence would not affect the franchise one bit. (Kind of ST:ID.)

Jan 2016
Colorado
first we had religion!

The Renaissance was NOT when "we learned that the earth was not flat". The ancient Greeks knew the Earth to be roughly round, going all the way back to Thales of Miletus (ca. 600 BC), and Eratosthenes, working at the Great Library of Alexandria ca. 300 BC, even estimated the circumference of the Earth to within 5% accuracy. Ever since then, all educated people in the West knew that the Earth was NOT flat, and was at least approximately round. The roundness of the Earth was NOT in serious dispute at the time of Columbus, when the only people who would have thought the Earth to be flat were the illiterate peasants.

It might be more accurate to claim (as you do) that the Renaissance was when "we learned the earth was not the centre of the universe", with Copernicus and then Kepler and Galileo. But consider the Greek scholar Aristarchus, a rough contemporary of Eratosthenes. Aristarchus deserves to be MUCH more famous than he is. Here's why. Way back then, Aristarchus said that the Earth and the other known planets circled the Sun, and that the Earth revolved on its axis. His theory, which was, of course, correct, was not accepted in his time because people claimed that if the Earth was orbiting around the Sun, we should be able to see the positions of the stars in the sky change, yet they remain in fixed positions. Aristarchus also had an answer for this: he said we did not see the stars move against the background of the sky because THEY WERE SO FAR AWAY. Here again, he was exactly right, as the phenomenon of stellar parallax was not observed until the 19th century! But the ancient Greeks simply could not CONTEMPLATE the stars being so far away.....

Jan 2016
Colorado
People have had science for eons...not millennia. It was not vodoo that helped man concur fire.

It was not the ghost of a desert bush that helped man fashion tools of stone.
I don't agree with this. I believe you are confusing science with technology. Stone tools are technology. The control of fire is technology.

Modern science certainly involves the careful empirical testing of ideas against reality. The ancient Greeks had what I would call proto-science. They certainly understood the value of deductive reasoning, but with a few exceptions (such as Eratosthenes, who I mentioned in my previous post), they did not engage in empirical tests of their ideas. This resulted in the long-term propagation of some serious errors, such as Aristotle's mistaken belief that heavier objects would fall faster than lighter ones.

True empirical science slowly emerged in the West during the 12th through the 15th centuries. There was, in fact, a brief Scientific Renaissance of the 12th Century, but this was eventually suppressed by the Catholic Church; only to re-emerge a few centuries later, and leading into the Scientific Revolution of the period 1500-1750 AD, roughly contemporaneous with the Great Age of Discovery......

Jan 2016
Colorado
BTW, the word you wanted in your thread title was NOT 'compliment', but 'complement'.

I am giving you a compliment if I say, "You look simply MAH-velous today!!"

Peanut butter is a complement to jelly; ham and eggs are complements; cheeseburgers and French fries are complements; they go together.

And perhaps science and religion can be complements, in a person who is a bit of a mystic, a person overawed by the beauty and grandeur of the Universe.

My friend Albert Einstein was like that.

Albert Einstein: "Science without religion is lame; but religion without science is blind."

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
I have to disagree with only one thing. Peanut butter isn't complementary to anything, it's an abomination. :f_biggrin:

The objectors to Columbus at the time correctly said his calculations were wrong, that China (his target) was much farther away than he thought, and the trip was doomed. Had he not bumped into the then unknown New World, it well might have never returned.