Can we all just simply agree that racism is wrong ?

Can we all just simply agree that racism is wrong ?

• yes.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • no.

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
Dec 2018
Florida
I can’t think of a single incident where it might be better to be racist. We ALL stereotype. We make assumptions based on mental shortcuts. Our brain just does it. That is how it is wired (taking shortcuts). Maybe you are predisposed to work with/collaborate to white people because you are white? Or whatever race. That in and of itself isn’t racism. And I think it is human. So I agree it is wrong. But there is a line that some may call racism, but it is not actually the case.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
I can’t think of a single incident where it might be better to be racist. We ALL stereotype. We make assumptions based on mental shortcuts. Our brain just does it. That is how it is wired (taking shortcuts). Maybe you are predisposed to work with/collaborate to white people because you are white? Or whatever race. That in and of itself isn’t racism. And I think it is human. So I agree it is wrong. But there is a line that some may call racism, but it is not actually the case.
True, but our habit of stereotyping isn’t “black and white” (okay, pun intended). It’s a matter of degree. Most people might have a “flash” in their heads, overcome it and move forward. Some people never move forward at all.

Working is a matter of familiarity. Euro-Americans are the majority in the US, over 76%. “Hispanic” isn’t a race. Afro-Americans are under 14%, a statistic that has been consistent for several years. When in a group of ten workers, there might only be one Afro-American. People might consciously or unconsciously move toward or away from the lone Afro-American. If all 9 other workers are Afro-American, then the situation is reversed. The lone Euro-American will try to work with the largest group, regardless of skin tone.

That said, anyone, regardless of skin tone or culture, who differentiates people by skin tone alone or continent of ancestral descent is a “racist”: Bigots who can’t see past the upper layer of skin on fellow Americans or human beings.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
If you are "predisposed" to avoid and shun others who don't look like you, yeah, that's absolutely some kind of a bigoted attitude on your part.

It isn't always the person's own fault, of course.

If you grew up in a very homogeneous community where you never encountered anyone significantly different from yourself, yes, it may, later on, be difficult for you to interact with such people, professionally or socially.

At least, for awhile.

I think most people, regardless of background, learn to, eventually, if spend enough time in a more diverse environment.

I have seen it with fellow immigrants here in Canada. Russians and others from ex-USSR, who had never seen a non-white person before coming here. Folks from China who, before landing here, had never met anyone not Chinese like them. Etc.

And most of them DO end up developing positive relations with all kinds of other human beings they encounter here.

Even take myself, I know a fact that plenty of fellow Russian guys I am now friends with here, this wouldn't be possible in the old country. In Moscow or St. Petersburg or bloody Vladivostok.

Because back there, relations between our communities, Slavs like them and Caucasus people like me, tend to always be tense, there's suspicion and mistrust and general dislike from their side, resulting in discrimination and mistreatment towards my kind; and we, of course, answer in kind...

But, out here, we are all one big Russian speaking diaspora, no matter white Slavs, Caucasians, or Asiatic guys and gals from Kazakhstan and such haha And we all get along, for the most part. Even most Russians and Ukrainians tend to put aside the crap with Crimea and Donbass and share tables at our various holidays :D

Humans are shaped by the circumstances around them. That is what I believe.