Can we finally just admit that "white privilege" is just a meaningless buzzword liberals throw out

Nov 2015
UK
And just use common sense, not all whites or blacks are robbers or your friend etc.. When you've worked in retail for example, you get a better feeling on judging people, probably down to their body language.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I stopped once I got to this.
Guess I should have pasted Rex Murphy's quote last then. I suspect you "stopped" (i.e. deleted the remaining content) because you couldn't think of much of a rebuttal to it. The rest of the content was by different authors/speakers, with a different tone and a different point.

What's contemptible is mischaracterizing someone else's ideas in order to criticize them. Nothing about notions of white privilege claims it's the "only vector of judgment." It's ONE vector of judgment, and a bad one.
The concept of "white privilege" is not any one person's idea. It's part of an ideology and an attitude, prevalent in the social sciences, and it inexorably requires generalizing people according to the color of their skin. That makes the concept itself inexorably racist, which ends up only exacerbating racial tensions (even if over time we gradually become a less racist overal).

Beto's excellent adventure drips with white male privilege

Last edited:
Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Yes, if it's necessary. "See that guy shoplifting?" "Which one?" "The skinny white guy with a hoodie." "Oh, don't worry about him. White Privilege rules, dude!" :D
Again. It's not about criminality, though that is affected by it too. Its about multiple things that add up to a largely hidden (to those who benefit) whole. Things like finding a sticking plaster for a cut in YOUR skin colour. Demanding to speak to the manager and finding they are the same race as you. Doing well at something and not being told you are a credit to your race, reading the history of your nation and seeing how people like you made it so. Going into any hairdresser, knowing they will know how to cut your hair. All everyday stuff you don't even think about because it's built into the system to your advantage, which uncomfortably means it disavantages others.
A final albeit stereotypical example. White privilege is being able to walk out of a shootout with police.

Oct 2014
Galaxy ZRF
when they can't field a rational argument?

CNN Legal Analyst Apologizes After Accidentally Accusing Black Radio Host of White Privilege

Love it:

Webb (Fox Nation Host): “I never considered my color the issue. I considered my qualifications the issue.”

Martin (Black CNN legal analyst): “Well, David, that’s a whole other long conversation about white privilege and the things that you have the privilege of doing that people of color don’t have....By virtue of being a white male you have white privilege.”

Webb: “Areva, I hate to break it to you...I’m black.”
No.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
You argue that I made an absolutist argument, I didn't, and then you make one yourself?

It depends upon the store. I've seen examples of racial profiling, but it works both directions. Most of the bus drivers in my area are black. They'll wait or even stop for a black person, but not for a white person. Not all the time, since individuals do vary, but it's a fairly common sight. What do you think I should do or say in such a circumstance?
I don't believe I made any absolutist arguments. In fact, I used the phrase "statistically ... likely" more than once. That's not absolutist.

Obviously it depends on the store ... but for the most part, my statements are accurate. If a store has security, they will likely focus their attention on the black man walking into the store, not the white man. I know nothing of the bus drivers you reference, but where I live, the buses stop at bus stops. And it doesn't matter whether the people at the bus stop are black, white, or non-existent. If the bus is scheduled to stop at a specific location, the bus will stop. Stopping elsewhere (especially in downtown Philadelphia) not only screws with the traffic, but it also screws with the bus's timetable.

My reference to absolutism was in regard to your line "Note that racial profiling doesn't exist everywhere." Well, obviously. "Everywhere" is an absolutist term, and I never suggested anything of the sort.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Here is how white privilege and, more broadly, Critical Race Theory is applied and disseminated by our institutions of higher "learning."

Step 1) Announce the obvious that racial prejudice is bad and should be eliminated.
Step 2) Divide everyone into categories according to the color of their skin.
Step 3) Continually measure and report the ways in which those groups of people divided according to skin color differ, statistically.
Step 4) Cite findings from (3) to deduce that differences must be the result of racial prejudice against those with bad outcomes and unearned privilege for those with good outcomes.
Step 5) Weaponize this against all dissenters.

This process commits itself to fomenting ongoing race tensions from practically the outset with its starting decision to base vast and ongoing research efforts on first dividing people into groups according to skin color and taking gathering data on them as skin-color-differentiated groups.

This ideology seeks to preserve racial differentiation, not eliminate it. It requires racial differentiation because it depends on data that can be used to claim race-based oppression and privilege are ongoing. What do you get when an ideology seeks to preserve racial differentiation? You get lunatic doublespeak like this: Colorblind Ideology Is a Form of Racism.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
California
Here is how white privilege and, more broadly, Critical Race Theory is applied and disseminated by our institutions of higher "learning."

Step 1) Announce the obvious that racial prejudice is bad and should be eliminated.
Step 2) Divide everyone into categories according to the color of their skin.
Step 3) Continually measure and report the ways in which those groups of people divided according to skin color differ, statistically.
Step 4) Cite findings from (3) to deduce that differences must be the result of racial prejudice against those with bad outcomes and unearned privilege for those with good outcomes.
Step 5) Weaponize this against all dissenters.

This process commits itself to fomenting ongoing race tensions from practically the outset with its starting decision to base vast and ongoing research efforts on first dividing people into groups according to skin color and taking gathering data on them as skin-color-differentiated groups.

This ideology seeks to preserve racial differentiation, not eliminate it. It requires racial differentiation because it depends on data that can be used to claim race-based oppression and privilege are ongoing. What do you get when an ideology seeks to preserve racial differentiation? You get lunatic doublespeak like this: Colorblind Ideology Is a Form of Racism.
Do you know how we made anti-Semitism a thing of the past in most social and political circles? Or telling Pollock jokes? It sure did not go away because all of a sudden no one thought of others as Jews or Poles. How about the term "Japs"? How did that escape our everyday lexicon?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Do you know how we made anti-Semitism a thing of the past in most social and political circles? Or telling Pollock jokes? It sure did not go away because all of a sudden no one thought of others as Jews or Poles. How about the term "Japs"? How did that escape our everyday lexicon?
I'd like to see a Venn Diagram showing those who deny white privilege exists and those who have not made those issues you cited in your post a "thing of the past".

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
It wasn't accomplished by having academics and pundits weaponize concepts like "white privilege." Publicly and systematically denouncing overt discriminatory attitudes, speech and actions helps.

Unfortunately, denouncing overt discrimination and prejudice is nowhere near good enough for people subscribing to this Critical Race Theory ideology. As evidenced by the Psychology Today link I shared in my previous post.