Canada also throwing Kurds under the bus

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Guess NATO nations favor Turkey for some reason.

The Kurdish people are currently seeing exactly how much Canadian allyship is worth.

On the campaign trail, Canadian leaders offered little more than handwringing in response to the looming military campaign against the vulnerable population — our close military and political ally. This should have come as no surprise. This was a disaster long in the making.

Turkey is, of course, a NATO ally, though it has hardly acted like one recently. Syria is a bloodthirsty dictatorship that Canada, at one time, claimed to oppose. That powder keg should be concerning to Western leaders. Though you wouldn’t know it to hear Canada’s politicians.

“We are, of course, monitoring the situation very closely along with our allies,” Trudeau said. While he iterated that Ottawa wants stability in the region, he noted that “Canada doesn’t have any defence assets in Syria right now” and did not even offer a word of solidarity with Canada’s ostensible allies. He didn’t even mention the Kurds by name. Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer was slightly more pointed. He slammed Trudeau’s decision, from 2015, to withdraw Canadian fighter jets from the bombing campaign against the Islamic State in Syria, but offered nothing in the way of direction as to what he would do to avoid full-on conflict between our two allies.

When Ankara launched limited bombing missions into Kurdistan, Ottawa did not speak up. While Canada purports to care about the jailing of political dissidents, it has had little to say about the jailing of Kurdish politicians in Turkey. When the referendum in Iraq occurred, Canada did not recognize the results. All the while, Trudeau has been happy to sit and chat with Erdogan at G20 meetings over the years.

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
What's Canada supposed to do here? I agree with sanctioning Erdogan & Co. And pushing to kick em all out of NATO, totally. But, otherwise???

Reactions: bajisima
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
What's Canada supposed to do here? I agree with sanctioning Erdogan & Co. And pushing to kick em all out of NATO, totally. But, otherwise???
I guess there are several complaints. One is that Canada isnt saying anything. They are ignoring the situation. The other part is the head of NATO is heading to Turkey Friday, so some think maybe they were told to keep quiet until after the meeting. I dont know what to think. I never liked that Turkey was part of NATO.

Reactions: The Man