Canadian beats Serena Williams!

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Canadian tennis star Bianca Andreescu celebrates with the Rogers Cup trophy as Serena Williams looks on after retiring from the final with injury. (Evan Mitsui/CBC)

Imagine that moment for Bianca Andreescu.

There was the rising Canadian tennis star, 19-years-old, entering Centre Court at the Aviva Centre preparing to play in the biggest match of her life against one of the best-ever tennis players in Serena Williams.

To add to the storybook stuff, Andreescu grew up not far from the stadium in Mississauga, Ont.

Williams, 37, is a tennis juggernaut who was winning titles before Andreescu was even born. In fact, Williams turned professional five years before the birth of Andreescu.

Williams has 72 career titles and 23 Grand Slam victories.

A capacity crowd, boisterous and energized at the potential of what they were about to witness, settled into their seats as the sun cascaded down on the court.

And then it all ended abruptly – Williams retiring from the match due to injury just four games into the championship.

An umpire immediately went over to Andreescu after Williams had informed officials she wouldn't be able to continue. Andreescu jumped up from her side of the court and raced over to Williams.

She hugged Williams, one of her tennis idols, comforting the tennis great in what was obviously a painful and difficult moment.

"Are you ok? What happened?" Andreescu asked, showing genuine care and concern.

Williams was still sitting in her courtside chair — Andreescu then crouched down, the two sharing a moment.

"I've been through so many injuries already. This sucks," Andreescu said. "I know everything about you."

It was a jarring and shocking end to a match so many were anticipating. For nearly 20 minutes after Williams retired, the majority of spectators in the stadium stood, speechless, trying to wrap their minds around what just happened.

Rogers Cup organizers scrambled to throw together the post-game ceremony.

Williams was the first to address the crowd.

"I'm sorry I couldn't do it today," Williams said, crying. "I tried, but I just, I couldn't do it."

The crowd cheered as Williams continued.

"Bianca, you're a great sportsperson, woman. And thanks to my team. It's been a tough year, but we'll keep going."

Andreescu then took the microphone at centre court to soak up her championship moment – once again showing poise and grace in the big moment, beginning with acknowledging her competitor.

"Serena you made me cry. I know how hard it is to pull out of a tournament due to injury. It's not easy," Andreescu began.

"This isn't the way I expected to win. You are truly a champion. I've watched you play so many times. You are truly a champion."

The two showered each other with respect.
Much more: Bianca Andreescu hailed as 'old soul' in abrupt victory over Serena Williams

Damn, good for her. Daughter of (Romanian) immigrants, btw :)

As are plenty of Canada's best tennis players.

Denis Shapovalov's parents are from Russia, for insance

Denis Shapovalov joins Novak Djokovic to play ATP 500 in...

Building bridges instead of walls can do wonders for a nice country ;)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Mr. Man,

Whoa, the both look like they can bench 300 pound each. They guys look like skinny runts.
I have also noticed that, with tennis players, females generally seem to be more muscled than males lol

Maybe it's because male players are, generally, also taller, with longer reach, while the women need to move around more, to make up for their smaller size, on average, so they need more strength and endurance in their body ;)

That's just my theory, anyway...

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Mr. Man,

Whoa, the both look like they can bench 300 pound each. They guys look like skinny runts.
Serena is 5'9, 155 pounds. I am almost the same weight as her and 5'9: but don't look near as muscular and skinnier. It is her muscle mass that bulks her up. I am envious. :) Serena is my favorite athlete overall. She is a beast in women's tennis. She is in her 30's now, it will get harder for her to compete.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Serena is 5'9, 155 pounds. I am almost the same weight as her and 5'9: but don't look near as muscular and skinnier. It is her muscle mass that bulks her up. I am envious. :) Serena is my favorite athlete overall. She is a beast in women's tennis. She is in her 30's now, it will get harder for her to compete.
I have long thought that some people, who become legends in their sport, unfortunately then don't know to walk away from it on the high note and instead stay in until their career ends in a much worse way...

I look, for instance, at Fedor Emelyanenko, he was the Tsar of MMA in Russia, in his time

He could have left the ring with head held high, as an undefeated champion.

But, no, he had to come back, for God knows what reason, and now he will be remembered instead as a hasbeen, getting knocked around by younger guys

Bellator 214 results: Ryan Bader knocks out Fedor Emelianenko, becomes double champ

(Well, not THAT much younger, in that case, Bader is 36, Emelyanenko - 42, but, still, 6 years is plenty in MMA...)

I hope Serena does not make this same mistake, honestly.

Reactions: WolfHulk

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
I have long thought that some people, who become legends in their sport, unfortunately then don't know to walk away from it on the high note and instead stay in until their career ends in a much worse way...

I look, for instance, at Fedor Emelyanenko, he was the Tsar of MMA in Russia, in his time

But, no, he had to come back, for God knows what reason, and now he will be remembered instead as a hasbeen, getting knocked around by younger guys

Bellator 214 results: Ryan Bader knocks out Fedor Emelianenko, becomes double champ

(Well, not THAT much younger, in that case, Bader is 36, Emelyanenko - 42, but, still, 6 years is plenty in MMA...)

She really has not been the same since she had her baby. I think she had a couple of complications from it. So are the MMA female fighters serious or just fit women fighting in bikini's? That is one sport, I have no interest in.. LOL

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
She really has not been the same since she had her baby. I think she had a couple of complications from it. So are the MMA female fighters serious or just fit women fighting in bikini's? That is one sport, I have no interest in.. LOL
They are not bad, if you ask me:
:)

But, I only watch occasionally and recreationally too lol

Reactions: HCProf
Mar 2019
sinromcall09

The roar of the crowd is adictive to a tragic fault!

Reactions: The Man
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Technically a win but it seems like the injury was the story.

That said, that young Japanese American player absolutely ate William's lunch at that match that featured the controversy with the official and the point penalty.

Williams is world class, but I don't see her winning another title.

Reactions: The Man and HCProf