Canadian PM Trudeau violated conflict of interest laws

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Boy Canadians are tough on their leaders!

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau violated four sections of the Conflict of Interest Act during separate family trips to the private island of the Aga Khan in the Bahamas last year, Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson has concluded.

The finding comes while the House of Commons is off for its Christmas break, but will nonetheless revive opposition attacks against the Prime Minister and his family's decision to accept free trips and helicopter flights to holiday with the billionaire religious leader. "When Mr. Trudeau, as Prime Minister, accepted the gifts of hospitality from the Aga Khan and the use of his private island in March and December 2016, there were ongoing official dealings with the Aga Khan, and the Aga Khan Foundation Canada was registered to lobby his office. Therefore, the vacations accepted by Mr. Trudeau or his family could reasonably be seen to have been given to influence Mr. Trudeau in his capacity as Prime Minister," she said.

"Section 12 [of the Act] prohibits ministers and their family members from accepting travel on non-commercial chartered or private aircraft for any purpose unless required in their capacity as public office holders, in exceptional circumstances or with the prior approval of the Commissioner," Ms. Dawson said. Mr. Trudeau said he takes full responsibility for the situation, even though his wife was responsible for arranging portions of the trips. This year, Mr. Trudeau and his family will go to the Prime Minister's official cottage at Harrington Lake and the Canadian Rockies.

"Obviously there was a mistake," he said. "I should have taken precautions and cleared my family vacations and dealings with the Aga Khan in advance. I'm sorry I didn't and in the future, I will be clearing all my family vacations with the Commissioner's Office."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/trudeau-violated-conflict-of-interest-law-with-aga-khan-trip-ethics-watchdog-says/article37393519/

Reactions: 1 person

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Concerning. Good for him to take responsibility and apologize. Honestly, in terms of sums of money, this is laughable, compared to the corruption that regularly goes on in high echelons of Russia or China, where bribes go into millions of dollars. But, it's the principle that matters :)

Nov 2013
None of your business
Concerning. Good for him to take responsibility and apologize. Honestly, in terms of sums of money, this is laughable, compared to the corruption that regularly goes on in high echelons of Russia or China, where bribes go into millions of dollars. But, it's the principle that matters :)
Yes.

Reactions: 1 person