Carbon dioxide is the basis for all life

Nicnam

Dec 2013
The dose makes the poison" is an adage intended to indicate a basic principle of toxicology. It is credited to Paracelsus who expressed the classic toxicology maxim "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison." This is often condensed to: "The dose makes the poison." . It means that a substance can produce the harmful effect associated with its toxic properties only if it reaches a susceptible biological system within the body in a high enough concentration.

The same principle holds true for substances generally considered safe, including water, table salt . . . and CO2.
Here's the link to link your material - The dose makes the poison - Wikipedia

"The dose makes the poison" (Latin: sola dosis facit venenum) is an adage intended to indicate a basic principle of toxicology. It is credited to Paracelsus who expressed the classic toxicology maxim "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison." This is often condensed to: "The dose makes the poison" or in Latin, "Sola dosis facit venenum". It means that a substance can produce the harmful effect associated with its toxic properties only if it reaches a susceptible biological system within the body in a high enough concentration (i.e., dose).[2]

Nov 2016
USA
Here's the link to link your material - The dose makes the poison - Wikipedia

"The dose makes the poison" (Latin: sola dosis facit venenum) is an adage intended to indicate a basic principle of toxicology. It is credited to Paracelsus who expressed the classic toxicology maxim "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison." This is often condensed to: "The dose makes the poison" or in Latin, "Sola dosis facit venenum". It means that a substance can produce the harmful effect associated with its toxic properties only if it reaches a susceptible biological system within the body in a high enough concentration (i.e., dose).[2]
This adage is one that I learned about, in all my chemistry courses (as a chem major, I took a lot of them) and in my toxicology course.

While CO2 is an essential component for life, as are water, oxygen (except for anaerobic bacteria), salt and a number of other components, too much of any of them is toxic. Too much atmospheric CO2 is likely to alter the balance of nature as we know it, including a warmer earth with subsequent sea level rise, possible extinction of species, and on and on.

Nov 2016
USA
As much as I dislike the need to do so, yet one has to agree with Kallie here, that ALL life would end, without CO2 in the atmosphere, as flora life forms are the producers of oxygen for fauna, yet flora themselves NEED CO2 in order to live.

Without CO2, no flora, without flora no oxygen to support fauna. It is a fact.

Now, the level of CO2 we are facing will be devastating, and poisonous for the planet, no question about that, and will possibly end our lives anyhow, true that.

That's why I plan to use my money during my life time best possible, and don't bet it on eternity :)
I was trying to make the point that that too much would be a bad thing.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
This adage is one that I learned about, in all my chemistry courses (as a chem major, I took a lot of them) and in my toxicology course.

While CO2 is an essential component for life, as are water, oxygen (except for anaerobic bacteria), salt and a number of other components, too much of any of them is toxic. Too much atmospheric CO2 is likely to alter the balance of nature as we know it, including a warmer earth with subsequent sea level rise, possible extinction of species, and on and on.
And what are the LC/LD 50 rates for co2?

Nov 2016
USA
LOL "Carbon Dioxide is the main building block of all life"

Dumb as fuck. :rolleyes:
After reading your post, it hit me, what a crock the statement “Carbon Dioxide is the main building block of all life" is. Carbon itself is the real building block, upon which many of the components of life - amino acids (which are the building blocks of proteins), DNA, RNA, and the saccharides (sugars) are built.

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
After reading your post, it hit me, what a crock the statement “Carbon Dioxide is the main building block of all life" is. Carbon itself is the real building block, upon which many of the components of life - amino acids (which are the building blocks of proteins), DNA, RNA, and the saccharides (sugars) are built.

Yep, he blew it. Covfefe!

May 2007
your place
according to the president, who, no doubt, snoozed through any discussion of organic chemistry:

So close. If only he had left off the word "dioxide."

Maybe that's the issue: Most of us are carbon based life forms. Maybe Trump is a carbon dioxide based life form.

Funny. He is saying the scientists are wrong at the same time he displays that he didnt pay attention in science class.

It is about as dumb as when it gets cold somewhere and deniers use that as example that the planet is not Warming.

The deniers need to let the glaciers know that are not supposed to be melting. Maybe the scientific community has perpetrated a fraud and is secretly doing something to make the ice melt.