Carter Page refuses to testify before Senate Intel: report

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page is refusing to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee in its investigation into Russian interference in the election, Politico reported Tuesday.

Page reportedly*told the committee Tuesday that he won't*cooperate with the lawmakers in their probe*and plans on pleading the Fifth Amendment if he does make an appearance.
Page did not immediately return a request for comment from Politico. The committee declined to comment.
It's unknown if the committee has formally requested that Page testify*in the investigation.
Carter Page refuses to testify before Senate Intel: report

guess Trump didn't offer him a pardon.

Jun 2014
United States
guess Trump didn't offer him a pardon.
He'll need a scapegoat, if he is to survive this investigation unscathed. That's how it often works out. Reagan and Bush I scapegoated themselves out of Iran/Contra and Bush II and Cheney scapegoated themselves out of exposing a CIA agent for political revenge.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
let's not go presuming guilt just because he's threatening to take the 5th. It's a useful tool when dealing with potential criminal liability. Especially, in a setting that he knows that , even if innocent, he might trigger a perjury charge. And no doubt something he was advised to do by his lawyers.

Jun 2014
United States
let's not go presuming guilt just because he's threatening to take the 5th. It's a useful tool when dealing with potential criminal liability. Especially, in a setting that he knows that , even if innocent, he might trigger a perjury charge. And no doubt something he was advised to do by his lawyers.
The 5th amendment is an integral component of our constitution, but I guess some folks like to cherry-pick when it comes to being a "strict constitutionalist".

Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl
Page is a good target for investigators to go after. Seems an easy task to trip him up into revealing important stuff. He seems so vacant and vacuous and if the Russia colluders let him in on key stuff, then they are stupid and will deserve what they get.

Against Schiff or Mueller, he is virtually unarmed. Against Mueller's team, very few will escape indictment and prosecution. Can't wait til the fireworks begin and so the healing of our democracy can happen.
I just hope Trump doesn't find a way out. I know he won't or his current lawyers won't but if he gets someone really sharp, well, who knows.