Carter Page refuses to testify before Senate Intel: report

Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl
let's not go presuming guilt just because he's threatening to take the 5th. It's a useful tool when dealing with potential criminal liability. Especially, in a setting that he knows that , even if innocent, he might trigger a perjury charge. And no doubt something he was advised to do by his lawyers.
I don't think he's a serious target as far as prosecution but his testimony is likely to be truthful because he's so timid. I can't imagine that guy in prison, he wouldn't last a week.

Reactions: 1 person
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Believe a number of Hillary associates refused to testify regarding her emails.

It's a lawyer advice thingy.

Meh....

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
I don't think he's a serious target as far as prosecution but his testimony is likely to be truthful because he's so timid. I can't imagine that guy in prison, he wouldn't last a week.
More important, he can imagine himself in prison and he'll take any route to avoid that.

Reactions: 2 people

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Believe a number of Hillary associates refused to testify regarding her emails.

It's a lawyer advice thingy.

Meh....
yeah, but they hadn't been seeking out any media outlet they could find to tell their story beforehand. Can't very well take the 5th on matters you've already disclosed to the public, I'd think.

Jun 2014
United States
yeah, but they hadn't been seeking out any media outlet they could find to tell their story beforehand. Can't very well take the 5th on matters you've already disclosed to the public, I'd think.
I'm not a lawyer, but I think you're right, in that one may inadvertently waive their right to claim the 5th.

Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl
More important, he can imagine himself in prison and he'll take any route to avoid that.
That's for sure. If he does have key info, it speaks loudly to the moronic way they went about doing what they did and the people they let into their inner circle. Page? Wow, now there's someone you want on your team, eh? LOL. He'll fold like origami.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I'm not a lawyer, but I think you're right, in that one may inadvertently waive their right to claim the 5th.
Any statement you make can be used against you, so while you can waive your right as to statements already made, you can still invoke it at any time moving forward. The only way he can be forced to answer questions going forward would be if he were offered immunity, in which case he would be by definition incapable of incriminating himself.

Of course, it also depends on the form of immunity.

Reactions: 3 people
Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl
Any statement you make can be used against you, so while you can waive your right as to statements already made, you can still invoke it at any time moving forward. The only way he can be forced to answer questions going forward would be if he were offered immunity, in which case he would be by definition incapable of incriminating himself.

I don't think Mueller would have a problem offering immunity to Page. He's a little fish and if he can help hook the bigger fishes, I think it would be a foregone conclusion. Mueller wants the gang at the top and so do I and most observers.

jacobfitcher

Nov 2014
Canada

I remember an episode of Law & Order in which a witness was offered immunity, testified, and was arrested immediately after the trial was over. He had been given immunity by New York County, but not New York State.

Reactions: 2 people