Castro twins "stand up" democrats in Texas for 2018

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Kind of surprising.

The Castro twins were supposed to take long-suffering Democrats to the 2018 statewide election dance. Democrats hoped the rising stars would help turn Texas from red to purple. Instead, they were jilted.

Julian Castro, the former San Antonio mayor and housing secretary under President Barack Obama, was wishfully slotted against incumbent Republican Greg Abbott for governor. His twin brother, U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, openly considered challenging former GOP presidential contender and incumbent U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz.

Both Castros have opted against 2018 statewide campaigns, leaving Democrats to reassess their options. Their decisions reflect the state of Texas politics. Wounds were healed in part by the hope that Julian Castro was waiting in the wings. He had been a popular big-city mayor, gave the keynote speech at the 2012 Democratic National Convention and was a high-profile member of Obama's administration. But after he left his administration post, Julian Castro gave no indication that he would return to Texas to challenge Abbott. Now Democrats don't have a major candidate for governor. For his part, Joaquin Castro talked openly about making a run against Cruz.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...ins-stand-texas-democrats-2018-election-dance

Jun 2013
VA
Wouldn't Joaquin taking out Lyin' Ted

be just as much of a shock to the system for Republicans as him winning Texas Governor?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Wouldn't Joaquin taking out Lyin' Ted

be just as much of a shock to the system for Republicans as him winning Texas Governor?
I think he could have beaten Cruz too. I don't know much about Abbot, but I do think Castro would have gotten himself a senate seat. As I said, its surprising they both decided against running.

May 2012
By the wall
The democratic party is in a rough spot right now.

2018 will probably be rough for them and it looks like 2020 will have to be a win by default if they take the WH back.

There is simply nobody in the democratic party making waves of excitement right now.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The democratic party is in a rough spot right now.

2018 will probably be rough for them and it looks like 2020 will have to be a win by default if they take the WH back.

There is simply nobody in the democratic party making waves of excitement right now.
I don't know, everything I have seen pegged the future on the Castro brothers. Even Nate Silver said they would be instrumental in turning Texas blue. I would have thought 2018 would be easy for them.

Jun 2013
VA
I think he could have beaten Cruz too. I don't know much about Abbot, but I do think Castro would have gotten himself a senate seat. As I said, its surprising they both decided against running.
baj? The end of your article?

"For his part, Joaquin Castro talked openly about making a run against Cruz."

They're just not running for GOVERNOR

May 2012
By the wall
I don't know, everything I have seen pegged the future on the Castro brothers. Even Nate Silver said they would be instrumental in turning Texas blue. I would have thought 2018 would be easy for them.
Yeah well Nate Silver's system of prediction has blown up, probably the last guy you want to go to for figuring out politics now.

Jun 2014
United States
Kind of surprising.

The Castro twins were supposed to take long-suffering Democrats to the 2018 statewide election dance. Democrats hoped the rising stars would help turn Texas from red to purple. Instead, they were jilted.

Julian Castro, the former San Antonio mayor and housing secretary under President Barack Obama, was wishfully slotted against incumbent Republican Greg Abbott for governor. His twin brother, U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, openly considered challenging former GOP presidential contender and incumbent U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz.

Both Castros have opted against 2018 statewide campaigns, leaving Democrats to reassess their options. Their decisions reflect the state of Texas politics. Wounds were healed in part by the hope that Julian Castro was waiting in the wings. He had been a popular big-city mayor, gave the keynote speech at the 2012 Democratic National Convention and was a high-profile member of Obama's administration. But after he left his administration post, Julian Castro gave no indication that he would return to Texas to challenge Abbott. Now Democrats don't have a major candidate for governor. For his part, Joaquin Castro talked openly about making a run against Cruz.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...ins-stand-texas-democrats-2018-election-dance
Who is this opinion writer, and does he always refer to himself in the third person as the spokesman for the entire Democratic Party?

Jul 2014
midwest
I think at least one of em was planning on "moving on up" under the Hillary administration.

Being groomed for bigger things in the future was the plan.

I still wouldn't count them out somewhere down the road...