Catholic Church Loses Monopoly on Sexual Abuse to Southern Baptists

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Southern Baptist leaders condemn decades of sexual abuse revealed in investigation
The Houston Chronicle and the San Antonio Express-News reported that nearly 400 Southern Baptist church leaders and volunteers have faced sexual misconduct allegations in the past two decades. As many as 700 victims — some as young as 3 — were sexually abused, some raped and molested repeatedly, according to the report.

But instead of ensuring that sexual predators were kept at bay, the Southern Baptist Convention resisted policy changes, the newspapers found. Victims accused church leaders of mishandling their complaints, even hiding them from the public. While the majority of abusers have been convicted of sex crimes and are registered sex offenders, the investigation found that at least three dozen pastors, employees and volunteers who showed predatory behavior still worked at churches.
Source - Washington Post (open in Incognito Mode to bypass paywall)

Just so we're clear - this is NOT the Catholic Church scandal we've been hearing about for the past few years. Southern Baptists are an entirely different denomination, with a completely independent hierarchical structure. Separate religious sect, separate leadership, separate scandal.

At what point do we say "enough" - and remove the umbrellas that protect these institutions from external oversight?

Last edited:

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Source - Washington Post (open in Incognito Mode to bypass paywall)

Just so we're clear - this is NOT the Catholic Church scandal we've been hearing about for the past few years. Southern Baptists are an entirely different denomination, with a completely independent hierarchical structure. Separate religious sect, separate leadership, separate scandal.

At what point do we say "enough" - and remove the umbrellas that protect these institutions from external oversight?
Right. And where I grew up, they resented Catholics almost as much as Jews.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Right. And where I grew up, they resented Catholics almost as much as Jews.
I doubt you have ever attended a Baptist church...if you did, you would realize that they worship Jews. My sister would throw herself on a sword for a Jewish person. They are not real fond of the Catholic church...but I have never heard anyone in a Baptist church criticize a Jew. They are God's chosen people, in their eyes.

All large religions have issues like this. If you did a quick Google search, you would find abuse by Rabbi's and Imans as well. They all keep their little secrets like this.

Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Imam Stir Rifts in Insular Illinois Community

South Asian community shocked at sexual assault charges against Elgin imam

Rabbi convicted of sex crimes said to confess to new misconduct

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I did read about this today. Actually from the Houston Chronical.

Thirty-five years later, Debbie Vasquez's voice trembled as she described her trauma to a group of Southern Baptist leaders.

She was 14, she said, when she was first molested by her pastor in Sanger, a tiny prairie town an hour north of Dallas. It was the first of many assaults that Vasquez said destroyed her teenage years and, at 18, left her pregnant by the Southern Baptist pastor, a married man more than a dozen years older.

In June 2008, she paid her way to Indianapolis, where she and others asked leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention and its 47,000 churches to track sexual predators and take action against congregations that harbored or concealed abusers. Vasquez, by then in her 40s, implored them to consider prevention policies like those adopted by faiths that include the Catholic Church.

"Listen to what God has to say," she said, according to audio of the meeting, which she recorded. "... All that evil needs is for good to do nothing. ... Please help me and others that will be hurt." Days later, Southern Baptist leaders rejected nearly every proposed reform. The abusers haven't stopped. They've hurt hundreds more.

Including the link because I don't think you hit a paywall

20 years, 700 victims: Southern Baptist sexual abuse spreads as leaders resist reforms

Sad to see so many different religions seem to have a massive problem in this area.

And they usually just "look" the other way.

Just so beyond the pale.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
I doubt you have ever attended a Baptist church...if you did, you would realize that they worship Jews. My sister would throw herself on a sword for a Jewish person. They are not real fond of the Catholic church...but I have never heard anyone in a Baptist church criticize a Jew. They are God's chosen people, in their eyes.

All large religions have issues like this. If you did a quick Google search, you would find abuse by Rabbi's and Imans as well. They all keep their little secrets like this.

Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Imam Stir Rifts in Insular Illinois Community

South Asian community shocked at sexual assault charges against Elgin imam

Rabbi convicted of sex crimes said to confess to new misconduct

I've been to several Southern Baptist churches and went to school with dozens of its followers. It was pretty common to hear disparaging remarks about Jews.

For those reverent Southern Baptists who do revere Jews, I question the motive based on what I read in the Revelations.

Granted this is just my observation and opinion, but I did grow up around plenty of Southern Baptists.

Your sister and Jimmy Carter are exceptions.

Last edited:

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
Yeah I went to a Baptist church as a child. I'm unscathed but yeah, fuck those people. Not just those who do this type of thing, but those who look the other way too. Fuck em. To hell with them all.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
I did read about this today. Actually from the Houston Chronical.

Thirty-five years later, Debbie Vasquez's voice trembled as she described her trauma to a group of Southern Baptist leaders.

She was 14, she said, when she was first molested by her pastor in Sanger, a tiny prairie town an hour north of Dallas. It was the first of many assaults that Vasquez said destroyed her teenage years and, at 18, left her pregnant by the Southern Baptist pastor, a married man more than a dozen years older.

In June 2008, she paid her way to Indianapolis, where she and others asked leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention and its 47,000 churches to track sexual predators and take action against congregations that harbored or concealed abusers. Vasquez, by then in her 40s, implored them to consider prevention policies like those adopted by faiths that include the Catholic Church.

"Listen to what God has to say," she said, according to audio of the meeting, which she recorded. "... All that evil needs is for good to do nothing. ... Please help me and others that will be hurt." Days later, Southern Baptist leaders rejected nearly every proposed reform. The abusers haven't stopped. They've hurt hundreds more.

Including the link because I don't think you hit a paywall

20 years, 700 victims: Southern Baptist sexual abuse spreads as leaders resist reforms

Sad to see so many different religions seem to have a massive problem in this area.

And they usually just "look" the other way.

Just so beyond the pale.
It is repulsive. Whenever you have an environment that is based on profound trust..and access to children, it tends to draw monsters like this. It doesn't matter what the religion is. You see this in schools as well. People look the other way because of the various reasons and beliefs. Muslim women do not speak out because they would have to admit they are tarnished and will not be able to get married. Jewish people are private and believe in taking care of problems within their community without outside influence. Christians worry about their reputation, such as the Catholic church and other denominations. People these days tend to mind their own business unless it directly affects them. A lot of people are walking away from organized religion and doing their own spiritual thing because of the scandals. In order to halt this....people in this situation need to speak out when it happens and other people need to be more watchful especially parents. In this day and age, I would never leave a child alone with anyone, regardless if I knew them all my life or not.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
It is repulsive. Whenever you have an environment that is based on profound trust..and access to children, it tends to draw monsters like this. It doesn't matter what the religion is. You see this in schools as well. People look the other way because of the various reasons and beliefs. Muslim women do not speak out because they would have to admit they are tarnished and will not be able to get married. Jewish people are private and believe in taking care of problems within their community without outside influence. Christians worry about their reputation, such as the Catholic church and other denominations. People these days tend to mind their own business unless it directly affects them. A lot of people are walking away from organized religion and doing their own spiritual thing because of the scandals. In order to halt this....people in this situation need to speak out when it happens and other people need to be more watchful especially parents. In this day and age, I would never leave a child alone with anyone, regardless if I knew them all my life or not.
Male coaches are one's to watch out for too.