Catholic Church Loses Monopoly on Sexual Abuse to Southern Baptists

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
It is repulsive. Whenever you have an environment that is based on profound trust..and access to children, it tends to draw monsters like this. It doesn't matter what the religion is. You see this in schools as well. ...
In schools, such incidents are a) far less common, and b) tend to involve high school students rather than primary school students.

In part, this is because when schools discover offenders, they are removed from their positions, and (when applicable) criminally prosecuted.

They are typically NOT quietly shuttled to other districts to resume their predatory behaviors.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
In schools, such incidents are a) far less common, and b) tend to involve high school students rather than primary school students.

In part, this is because when schools discover offenders, they are removed from their positions, and (when applicable) criminally prosecuted.

They are typically NOT quietly shuttled to other districts to resume their predatory behaviors.
Yes and no. Schools do have a far better record on this sort of thing than other organizations. But it's also not uncommon to find when a teacher is prosecuted that they have a string of accusations about similar acts in their past, often stretching from one district to the next. That's the bitter, but necessary, side of innocent until proven guilty, as much as you want to protect children, you can't punish someone based on unproven accusations.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Source - Washington Post (open in Incognito Mode to bypass paywall)

Just so we're clear - this is NOT the Catholic Church scandal we've been hearing about for the past few years. Southern Baptists are an entirely different denomination, with a completely independent hierarchical structure. Separate religious sect, separate leadership, separate scandal.

At what point do we say "enough" - and remove the umbrellas that protect these institutions from external oversight?
Do not say I did not tell you!

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I doubt you have ever attended a Baptist church...if you did, you would realize that they worship Jews. My sister would throw herself on a sword for a Jewish person. They are not real fond of the Catholic church...but I have never heard anyone in a Baptist church criticize a Jew. They are God's chosen people, in their eyes.

All large religions have issues like this. If you did a quick Google search, you would find abuse by Rabbi's and Imans as well. They all keep their little secrets like this.

Sexual Abuse Allegations Against Imam Stir Rifts in Insular Illinois Community

South Asian community shocked at sexual assault charges against Elgin imam

Rabbi convicted of sex crimes said to confess to new misconduct
People in the Southern Baptist Church think if you do not believe as they do you are wrong.

When I was baptised in the Baptist Faith, not Southern , they hated Jews because they killed Christ.

Today Southern Baptist love Israel. Not Jewish especially becaus somehow over the years they have decided
That signifies the second coming of Christ. Twisted, I am not sure how they changed

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
West Coast 4 Life
People in the Southern Baptist Church think if you do not believe as they do you are wrong.

When I was baptised in the Baptist Faith, not Southern , they hated Jews because they killed Christ.

Today Southern Baptist love Israel. Not Jewish especially becaus somehow over the years they have decided
That signifies the second coming of Christ. Twisted, I am not sure how they changed
Yes, it's a big mistake to take Evangelicals loving Israel as them loving Jews. It's about the motive for supporting Israel. It's self-interest rapture theology. They want to climb on the Jews to get to heaven.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I've been to several Southern Baptist churches and went to school with dozens of its followers. It was pretty common to hear disparaging remarks about Jews.

For those reverent Southern Baptists who do revere Jews, I question the motive based on what I read in the Revelations.

Granted this is just my observation and opinion, but I did grow up around plenty of Southern Baptists.

Your sister and Jimmy Carter are exceptions.
It has to do with the second coming of Christ. They think Israel will be where it happens.

Honestly the Church has been fighting for years at the Convention. One side wanted to be inclusive. The other side is bigoted,hateful and vengeful.

I posted this when it happened.

Seminary fires prominent Southern Baptist leader over remarks about women and sexual abuse

Nov 2013
NY
I doubt you have ever attended a Baptist church...if you did, you would realize that they worship Jews. My sister would throw herself on a sword for a Jewish person. They are not real fond of the Catholic church...but I have never heard anyone in a Baptist church criticize a Jew. They are God's chosen people, in their eyes.

All large religions have issues like this. If you did a quick Google search, you would find abuse by Rabbi's and Imans as well. They all keep their little secrets like this.
That doesn't really make an argument for either religion.. but rather for the fact that ALL organized and large religions are .. evil ? Bad for children ? Hypocritical ? Not nearly what they are supposed to be ? Criminal ? To be fully divested ? Do not deserve any tax breaks ? Need 3rd party oversight ?

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
It has to do with the second coming of Christ. They think Israel will be where it happens.

Honestly the Church has been fighting for years at the Convention. One side wanted to be inclusive. The other side is bigoted,hateful and vengeful.

I posted this when it happened.

Seminary fires prominent Southern Baptist leader over remarks about women and sexual abuse
Right.

When I read The Revelations a long time ago, I was like, "wow, the Jews are such patsies in this."

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Somewhere along the way Evangelicals have twiisted their hate of Jews for killing Christ to loving Israel because they think Jesus will come back. I will never understand so have just decided to try and do the best I can here. All we can do.