Catholic Church Loses Monopoly on Sexual Abuse to Southern Baptists

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
What are they doing for the victims?
Democrats, now in control of both legislative houses, have vowed since before the November elections that they would push through a series of bills that were blocked when the Republicans were in the Senate majority until this month. They’ve already done so on measures involving abortion, election laws and immigration.

The Child Victims Act, which has been opposed over the years by the Catholic Church and some other organizations, is set to be passed Monday by the Senate and Assembly. It will raise the statute of limitations that victims of child sex abuse can try to bring civil or criminal cases against their abusers and open a one-year “look-back” period – also called a “revival window” – for victims of any age to bring lawsuits over alleged sexual abuse that may have occurred decades ago.
This is legislation that had until recently been blocked by Republicans working in concert with the Catholic Church.

Source

Apr 2012
This is legislation that had until recently been blocked by Republicans working in concert with the Catholic Church.

Source
One state? Gop had control in New York? Good luck with that. I thought the Democrats supported the Catholic church to get their votes. This whole thing sounds backwards

Apr 2011
My mother's womb, of course.
Source - Washington Post (open in Incognito Mode to bypass paywall)

Just so we're clear - this is NOT the Catholic Church scandal we've been hearing about for the past few years. Southern Baptists are an entirely different denomination, with a completely independent hierarchical structure. Separate religious sect, separate leadership, separate scandal.

At what point do we say "enough" - and remove the umbrellas that protect these institutions from external oversight?
Yet socially conservative Christians continue to call atheists immoral.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
One state? Gop had control in New York? Good luck with that. I thought the Democrats supported the Catholic church to get their votes. This whole thing sounds backwards
You wanted an example; I provided one. How many must I find before you agree that Democrats are spearheading legislation that puts the rights of the victims ahead those of the Catholic Church?

Apr 2012
You wanted an example; I provided one. How many must I find before you agree that Democrats are spearheading legislation that puts the rights of the victims ahead those of the Catholic Church?
They will do nothing unless it gets them votes