Chanukah - 8th day

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
What dishonest nonsense.

The words 'chosen people of god' refers to god's COVENANT that is UNIQUE to the jews. A covenant 'burdens' both parties -- the jews comply with more prohibitions and god grants a special place for them in jewish eschatology.

Jewish eschatology - Wikipedia

The main tenets of Jewish eschatology are the following, in no particular order, elaborated in the Books of Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel:[3]

Please, tell us again how this isn't superiority.
Because there is no promise of special treatment or reward. Look at the main tenets. None of them place Jews above anyone else, or confer any sort of privilege or treatment. There's nothing about non-Jews being condemned to damnation. There's nothing negative about anyone else - and you're quoting the same religious text found in every Christian church.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
Because there is no promise of special treatment or reward.
It is called a covenant precisely because there is a promise of special treatment or reward. It wouldn't be a covenant otherwise. It is even couched as a suzerainty treaty common in the near east during that time.

Look at the main tenets. None of them place Jews above anyone else, or confer any sort of privilege or treatment.
You do not think the position of leadership is a position of superiority guaranteed by god himself?

There's nothing about non-Jews being condemned to damnation.
That is not relevant to the definition I provided and which you seem to have accepted.

There's nothing negative about anyone else -
But there is superiority for the jews.

and you're quoting the same religious text found in every Christian church.
Yes. What of it?

You do understand that the special place of the chosen people, as far as catholicism is concerned, is reiterated in no less than a church encyclical, don't you?

Despite your objections, judaism is what it is. Rather than flinging baseless accusations of anti-semitism, why not objectively look at what it really is?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
The promise of "an age of justice and peace" - is this promise limited to Jews? Or is it a promise to all people, provided that the Jews fulfill their duties?

Is there anything suggesting that non-Jews will be excluded from this "age of justice and peace?" Don't confuse this with Christianity, which posits that non-Christians will be eternally damned.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
The promise of "an age of justice and peace" - is this promise limited to Jews? Or is it a promise to all people, provided that the Jews fulfill their duties?
God creates a regent from the house of david to LEAD ...

So, I ask you again, is a position of leadership not a position of superiority?

Is there anything suggesting that non-Jews will be excluded from this "age of justice and peace?"
Non-jews are not excluded, just not in a position of leadership. That is clearly a superiority complex.

Don't confuse this with Christianity, which posits that non-Christians will be eternally damned.
I am not confusing anything. I do not think you are confusing anything. You are just being dishonest.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
God creates a regent from the house of david to LEAD ... So, I ask you again, is a position of leadership not a position of superiority?
According to the text, God will choose a specific individual of Jewish ancestry for a position of leadership. That means the leader is special - it says nothing about Jews in general. Nor does it suggest that during this "age of justice and peace," Jews will enjoy any sort of special status or preferential treatment. You're deviating WAY too far from the text to assume otherwise.

Where on earth are you getting your interpretations?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
@Djinn, I am not responding to his antisemitic nonsense. He is looking for any excuse he can make up to use a thread on Chanukah to dump on Jews, and I am not wasting my time on that.

On other matters, though ... you are pretty much hitting the nail on the head. If I see something in the thread that I missed that I think needs further response, I will of course jump in.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
. Someone said imagine using your iPhone for seven days without a charge and that’s what Hanukkah celebrates
Using it continuously, without interruption, for seven days - after the original 1-day charge went to zero. :)

Apr 2014
Maryland
According to the text, God will choose a specific individual of Jewish ancestry for a position of leadership. That means the leader is special - it says nothing about Jews in general. Nor does it suggest that during this "age of justice and peace," Jews will enjoy any sort of special status or preferential treatment. You're deviating WAY too far from the text to assume otherwise.

Where on earth are you getting your interpretations?
This is the basis of anti semitism. You get ignorant people who interpret choosing one person as choosing the whole group ...so they can discriminate.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Judaism isn't perfect by any measure. But yes - they're strictly non-proselytizing. Jews do not encourage others to convert, nor do they hold non-Jews accountable for violations of Jewish law.
No Religion is perfect. But that is because we are human.

The thing that made me think I was in a good Church is when they had a series, inviting Pastors and Laymen from other Churches in to discuss what we had in common in our belief. For instance, the German Baptist Church has no Pastors. The Laymen of the Church perform that duty. Of course I have learned a great deal living in a German Baptist founded small city, hiring workers who are first rate workers. Of course I live in Happy Corners, the name of my Church.:) We are now in Advent.

https://candles.lovetoknow.com/Advent_Candle_Meaning

We are all striving for the same thing. And, Ian has done a great service by his explanations as to what certain things that have been misconstrued by others.