Chevy volt

Sep 2006
So I went to the Chevy Volt website and lo and behold the release date of the volt is no longer mid year next year but stated as November 2010. I am waiting for the relase date to change to some time in 2010 instead. I also read about the generator kicking while driving and not only when the battery is depleated to 30%. What is with that? I thought you could drive it 40 miles before the gas generatior was to kick in? Am I mistaken about this? Anybody read about some change this way? Also I read the battery pack they have wighs 400 pounds. Yikes that is heavy.

Dec 2006
These new plug-ins are too expensive. The price must come down. Wait until China starts mass-producing a plug-in. ........and they will. ,..........although the first one's will be shit... it will take years.

Sep 2006
Yes the car is projected to cost something like $40,000. That is way beyond the market. But there is provisions in the tax code to susidize the cars with tax payer money. So you can help pay for your neighbor to buy one so that the UAW can get their due.

Sep 2006
Why on earth do I have to pay taxes to pay for someone elses car??

http://www.triplepundit.com/2009/11/battle-of-the-hybrids-the-rookie-chevy-volt-versus-the-veteran-toyota-prius/

"...First off, let’s take a look at Chevy Volt’s stats. The Volt does 0-60 in 8 seconds and runs on electricity for the first 40 miles, then the gas engine kicks in and recharges the battery. Once the batteries are depleted and the generator kicks in, the car has an additional 260 miles of driving range. If the Volt is driven farther than 40 miles without recharging, it will get roughly 40 mpg while running on the generator. The wheels, however, are always driven by the electric system. The Volt has to be plugged in and takes 6.5 hours to charge using a standard 100 volt home outlet. For those curious about the Volt’s electrical consumption, GM says the car, under normal driving, will consume about 2,520 kilowatt-hours of electricity annually. The company figures the car will cost 1 to 3 cents a mile to operate. Given these estimates and based on an electricity price of 11 cents per kWh, the Chevy Volt would cost around $275 a year to charge. This is just in electricity costs and doesn’t factor in the cost of gas, if needed. The Chevy Volt, however, is expected to have a price tag around $40,000. Though it is eligible for the $7,500 Federal tax credit, which was enacted to help offset the high cost of the batteries used in the Volt, it is considerably more expensive than the Toyota Prius...."

Sep 2006
A $41,000 econobox. This is going to be the biggest flop since the Edsel. Even dispite the tax payer funded rebate program (which by the way actually makes my blood boil), will still be a huge flop. Why on earth are tax payers paying for someone elses car purchase?

Nov 2005
Richmond Va
A $41,000 econobox. This is going to be the biggest flop since the Edsel. Even dispite the tax payer funded rebate program (which by the way actually makes my blood boil), will still be a huge flop. Why on earth are tax payers paying for someone elses car purchase?
Sounds like someone is worried about their oil stocks.

Dec 2007
i don't know if this car will be a flop, because i don't think they're making very many of them, but it is way overpriced. a new prius is almost half the price, and for around town driving much more practical.

Sep 2006
i don't know if this car will be a flop, because i don't think they're making very many of them, but it is way overpriced. a new prius is almost half the price, and for around town driving much more practical.
I totally agree with you. It is a shame because I was really jacked about the Volt when they first started talking about it. then they started talking about the range and the projected cost. It is a turkey. I am very disapointed.

Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Civil Rights
Recent Similar Discussions
Re-enactors & 1811 Slave Revolt