Chevy Volt

Sep 2006
Is it my imagination or am I lately hearing and seeing a lot of Chevy volt commercials? When it was being introduced they did not advertise it so very much but now... It looks like GM is doubling down on it Good idea for GM?

Dec 2007
NY
Considering the base price, amd how long you have to drive that car to get your money back, they still have a longggg way to go. And that's assuming you don't have to replace a battery or anything like that.

I don't know if the MSRP has changed since the last time I looked, but a loaded prius probably costs as much as the base volt. So that's just all the more reason to go prius.

Last edited:
Dec 2011
If they sell them great, but it might also have an impact on the perception of the brand. If people's brand image of Chevy changes in a positive way even for non-Volt buyers, it might make a lot of sense to pump the Volt. GM needs to realize just how much damage it really has done to its brand image in the past 30 years.

Dec 2011
Considering how long you have to drive that car to get your money back, they still have a longggg way to go
Yes, indeed and that is even WITH the tax credit....without the tax credit, this thing is what? DOUBLE the price of a Malibu or something like that? Think about how much gas you have to NOT burn to justify it in terms of dollar outlay....Gas would have to like triple....

Sep 2006
If they sell them great, but it might also have an impact on the perception of the brand. If people's brand image of Chevy changes in a positive way even for non-Volt buyers, it might make a lot of sense to pump the Volt. GM needs to realize just how much damage it really has done to its brand image in the past 30 years.
Are you suggesting that the Volt is boosting GMs image?

Sep 2006
If you think a $40,000 econo box that spontaniously catches on fire is boosting GM's image its not saying much for GM.

Dec 2011
Are you suggesting that the Volt is boosting GMs image?
Well, when GM was making the Hummer, it wouldn't make you associate GM with green technology. Its certainly a departure from that.

Not that they're still not selling an inordinate amount of SUVs, but still many would say that GM probably has an 'image' (and remember the image is the image and not the reality) of being a technological laggard of not being a brand of first choice. And by showing the Volt they can show that GM is at the cutting edge of where car technology is.....

Of course, those overheating batteries didn't help them.....

Jan 2012
Is it my imagination or am I lately hearing and seeing a lot of Chevy volt commercials? When it was being introduced they did not advertise it so very much but now... It looks like GM is doubling down on it Good idea for GM?
There was congressional hearing about safety issues with the Volt last month and they also had to recall a bunch of them.

So they could be advertising them more to counter all of the bad publicity they have been getting in the press recently.

Dec 2011
If you think a $40,000 econo box that spontaniously catches on fire is boosting GM's image its not saying much for GM.
You're confusing image and reality. They do focus groups on this stuff. People who are positively influenced by the Volt, aren't negatively affected by the performance issues, those people say, "well, they still have to work out the bugs in the 'new' technology" and they'll pass on the 40K price tag and go for the Malibu or the Cruze and now they have this 'Sonic' thing (which I don't know much about)

Right now GM has to do something because they're still sitting on some SERIOUS negative numbers, but in all sincerity they must be hoping the advertising is having an incidental affect because they really just don't have enough Volts to sell. Basically they're advertising something they really don't have any hope of selling to you.

Ultimately they'll find out if it worked, the old adage in advertising still applies, they know they're wasting half their advertising budget, they just don't know which half!

Sep 2006
......., but in all sincerity they must be hoping the advertising is having an incidental affect because they really just don't have enough Volts to sell. Basically they're advertising something they really don't have any hope of selling to you.......!

Chevy Volt Sales Plummet as the Electric Car Market Slumps

As GM share prices plunge so do Chevy Volt sales, according to the latest auto sales figures. Throughout July, a whopping 125 Chevy Volts were sold, making the seemingly low 281 units sold in February a groundbreaking month.

GM spokeswoman Michelle Bunker attributed the fallback to "supply constraints," alleging that GM was "virtually sold out" and supply was down nationwide. But Mark Modica, associate fellow at the National Legal and Policy Center, confirmed Bunker’s assertion was false, as he wrote on FoxNews.com:

A search of cars.com site showed nearly 500 Chevy Volts listed for sale. I had originally assumed that GM dealers were advertising vehicles that were not actually available for sale, since GM has stated that there were only a "few" Volts available. I decided to call a few dealers within 75 miles of my location to determine what the true situation was. I stopped my research after finding that five of the first six dealers I called had Volts in inventory available for immediate sale. Two of the five dealers even had two each in stock. I can now safely assume that GM is, once again, not being entirely honest with its facts. The demand for the Chevy Volt is not as strong as GM would have us believe.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/8450-chevy-volt-sales-plummet-as-the-electric-car-market-slumps

Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Civil Rights
Recent Similar Discussions
Re-enactors & 1811 Slave Revolt