Chicago violence. 11 year old activists cousin shot

Dec 2016
United States
This is a never ending story of a City of personal destruction that needs leadership towards a real path out of the mess it has made of itself. I feel bad for the poor child and her family.

Chicago Gun Violence: 11-year-old Cousin of Activist Shot - NBC News

Rachel Williams shook with anger and frustration, her voice aching as she blasted city officials in Chicago for not doing enough to quell the violence that continues to engulf the city. Over the past week alone, she'd lost two friends to shootings.

She rattled off a list of disparities that bedraggle the most dangerous neighborhoods: "You're seeing no jobs, no education, but barely holding on ... divestment in jobs, divestment in education, and wonder why the violence is so high." "All of those are major components that come into the violence that happens here," Williams, a community activist, said during a town hall hosted by MSNBC on Thursday.

Two days later, her 11-year-old cousin was shot.

Takiya Williams, 11, left, was critically wounded in a shooting over the weekend. She was one of two
young girls shot within 30 minutes of each other on Chicago's south side. As of this story's publishing
date, the girl remained on life support with a bullet lodged by her brain stem, according to family.
Family of Takiya Williams.

Reactions: 1 person

Nicnam

Former Staff
Dec 2013
-
Horrible, Chicago needs massive help, but nothing changes -

Sending prayers to both of these families.

"Two young girls are in critical condition, fighting for their lives, after being shot in the head in two separate incidents in Chicago this weekend, police told CNN.

The shootings happened in two different inner city neighborhoods within an hour of each other."

Chicago shootings: 2 girls shot in separate incidents - CNN.com

Dec 2016
United States
Horrible, Chicago needs massive help, but nothing changes -

Sending prayers to both of these families.

"Two young girls are in critical condition, fighting for their lives, after being shot in the head in two separate incidents in Chicago this weekend, police told CNN.

The shootings happened in two different inner city neighborhoods within an hour of each other."

Chicago shootings: 2 girls shot in separate incidents - CNN.com
The problem is no one wants to deal with the REAL problems for fear of being labeled as racist.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
The real problem is endemic poverty. Poverty breeds crime, extreme poverty breeds extreme crime. The right has no interest in reducing poverty, no interest in reducing the cause of crime, they just want to punish the criminals and make a profit off them with their privately owned for profit prisons. Raise the minimum wage, quit rewarding corporations that off shore jobs(they are still doing it, Trump has stopped nothing), make college or advanced trade school affordable for everyone that has the ability to learn.

Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2015
Florida
Funny isn't it? How soooo much attention has been suddenly focused by the RIGHT on to the problems of Chicago. The same people who laughed and laughed and laughed at the 'community organizer' (and get ZERO connection) and the same people who didn't get what Cabrini Green was all about 40 fucking YEARS AGO when I 'got it'.

Belligerent intransigence--is it an IQ problem or a simple HATE problem?

Last edited:
Dec 2016
United States
The real problem is endemic poverty. Poverty breeds crime, extreme poverty breeds extreme crime. The right has no interest in reducing poverty, no interest in reducing the cause of crime, they just want to punish the criminals and make a profit off them with their privately owned for profit prisons. Raise the minimum wage, quit rewarding corporations that off shore jobs(they are still doing it, Trump has stopped nothing), make college or advanced trade school affordable for everyone that has the ability to learn.
Handouts have already been tried for decades and have failed. Ultimately behavior is a choice. The poverty excuse for endemic bad behavior is no longer working for Democrats.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
The beast is out of the cage on this type of extreme crime. Even with jobs, free training, etc..it will take decades to change the mindset of criminals in gangs. No job they could train for pays as much as drug sales. From what I have read, most of the problems in Chicago are gang related and gangs sell drugs. Who would work for minimum wage or even 20.00 per hour, if they can earn 1000.00 a day selling heroin or crack.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Handouts have already been tried for decades and have failed. Ultimately behavior is a choice. The poverty excuse for endemic bad behavior is no longer working for Democrats.
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I said jobs and education, are those considered "hand outs"? Endemic, abject poverty is not a fucking "choice", no matter how many times you say it. Without support, the poverty will endure for generation after generation forever.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
The beast is out of the cage on this type of extreme crime. Even with jobs, free training, etc..it will take decades to change the mindset of criminals in gangs. No job they could train for pays as much as drug sales. From what I have read, most of the problems in Chicago are gang related and gangs sell drugs. Who would work for minimum wage or even 20.00 per hour, if they can earn 1000.00 a day selling heroin or crack.
It is easy as hell to just "write off" the entire problem as "hopeless" and just build a wall around the ghettos and enclaves and make cities prisons like in "Escape from New York", that is the Republican credo.

Jul 2015
Florida
You know OLD, I used to believe that was the endemic problem--all roads lead to POVERTY. UNTIL I found out about redlining. I often told people that was the final part of the puzzle to me. Sadly, right after I heard about the EVIL PRACTICE, I was telling a friend who told me in 1992, her agency in was still using it! In Philadelphia.