Childless author thinks non moms should get maternity leave also

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Thoughts?

"Childless author Meghann Foye has come under fire. The reason: She believes that maternity leave is, in her words, a “time and space for self-reflection.” The magazine editor — whose new novel, Meternity is about a woman who fakes her pregnancy— explained how the book came about. After 10 years of working in a job where I was always on deadline, I couldn’t help but feel envious when parents on staff left the office at 6 p.m. to tend to their children, where it was assumed co-workers without kids would stay behind to pick up the slack,” wrote Foye."

"That’s when the 38-year-old dreamed up the term “Meternity,” which she describes as “a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn’t revolve around their jobs.” The New Jersey-based writer also feels that parents have an advantage in the work place. While working a desk job, “It seemed that parenthood was the only path that provided a modicum of flexibility,” she explained. “There’s something about saying ‘I need to go pick up my child,’ as a reason to leave the office on time that has far more gravitas than, say, ‘My best friend just got ghosted by her OKCupid date and needs a margarita’ — but both sides are valid.”

This Childless Author Thinks All Women Deserve Maternity Leave* - Us Weekly

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Thoughts?

"Childless author Meghann Foye has come under fire. The reason: She believes that maternity leave is, in her words, a “time and space for self-reflection.” The magazine editor — whose new novel, Meternity is about a woman who fakes her pregnancy— explained how the book came about. After 10 years of working in a job where I was always on deadline, I couldn’t help but feel envious when parents on staff left the office at 6 p.m. to tend to their children, where it was assumed co-workers without kids would stay behind to pick up the slack,” wrote Foye."

"That’s when the 38-year-old dreamed up the term “Meternity,” which she describes as “a sabbatical-like break that allows women and, to a lesser degree, men to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn’t revolve around their jobs.” The New Jersey-based writer also feels that parents have an advantage in the work place. While working a desk job, “It seemed that parenthood was the only path that provided a modicum of flexibility,” she explained. “There’s something about saying ‘I need to go pick up my child,’ as a reason to leave the office on time that has far more gravitas than, say, ‘My best friend just got ghosted by her OKCupid date and needs a margarita’ — but both sides are valid.”

I have no idea in the world what "My best friend just got ghosted by her OKCupid date... "means.

Why would any NEED an excuse to leave the office ON TIME???
I thought you needed an excuse to leave EARLY?

What....the ...fuck?

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
“There’s something about saying ‘I need to go pick up my child,’ as a reason to leave the office on time that has far more gravitas than, say, ‘My best friend just got ghosted by her OKCupid date and needs a margarita’ — but both sides are valid.”
This is idiotic. I'm assuming that the best friend is a grown adult who can manage a) not fall apart over getting stood up and b) somehow console themselves for a few hours waiting for their drinking buddy to get done with work. What's a child going to do? Drive themselves home?

May 2014
Missouri
LOL - You should have seen some of the responses I saw to this on FB yesterday when a friend posted it. Let's just say, Moms weren't shy about pointing out all the "blessings" that come along with maternity leave. :D

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
LOL - You should have seen some of the responses I saw to this on FB yesterday when a friend posted it. Let's just say, Moms weren't shy about pointing out all the "blessings" that come along with maternity leave. :D
I don't have kids. But I'm in close enough proximity to enough people who do to know that I have it much easier than they do. I can sleep in when I don't work. I can come and go as I please. The only person I have to worry about feeding and providing for is myself. This woman is just someone who sees something that someone else has and wants it without earning it.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Plus I can watch whatever I want on TV whenever I want. I don't have to share with a kid demanding to watch kids shows and I don't have to worry about them being exposed to something inappropriate for their age like Goodfellas or The Exorcist. I never have to disrupt my whole day because they got in trouble at school. Holidays are much cheaper for me.

Feb 2015
sadness
Thoughts?

In my opinion it is flat out discrimination.

Oct 2013
Sweden
Thoughts?

Its dumb, what she wants is VACATION.

Her argument is really no different than wanting the same disability leave the coworker with cancer gets off to go get chemo....

and no...wanting to run off to get a margarita is not the same as picking up a toddler from day care cause they called to come get your vomit projecting child......

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I got in trouble for being late to drop off cat to the Vet. Once a year. I said fuck off :) (I left early to pick her up too :).