China Tariffs already kicking in

Sep 2016
My own world
In the '70s and '80s, Americans didn't buy foreign cars because they were cheaper, but because foreign manufacturers offered superior products. That was never the laborers' fault. US car manufacturers were simply designing and engineering inferior products in order to maximize their profit margins.
Actually no, the 70 and 80's were full of cheap cars from Japan and Korea. The first Honda Civic w\was a rust bucket and Hyundai couldn't wire a car properly at all. Over time however they got better and better and kept prices down while the US did the exact opposite, quality got cheaper with higher prices

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Actually no, the 70 and 80's were full of cheap cars from Japan and Korea. The first Honda Civic w\was a rust bucket and Hyundai couldn't wire a car properly at all. Over time however they got better and better and kept prices down while the US did the exact opposite, quality got cheaper with higher prices
That Honda Civic was like driving a lawnmower. What a mess.

Apr 2012
East coast USA
If folks only knew how many everyday product are made in China.
Companies have been moving any product line capable of being built by low paid, uneducated, poverty stricken into China for a lonnng time.
The U.S. goal has always been to elevate all nations to first world status so across the board capitalism would function.
We give 2 percent of our GDP to other nations to help speed them along.
Not to say differant administrations haven't capitalized on ignorant heads of state already.

Sep 2012
California
Another tariff update from meetings held yesterday reveals that tariffs on home based CPE are in affect. That means your little routers are going to cost more. In addition, major networking companies are beginning to think about moving production to Mexico rather than face a 25% tariff but this assumes there will not be a new tariff on Mexican imports. We are beginning to put warnings on all quotes now indicating that we reserve the right to increase the prices at any time if tariffs are imposed during the quote cycle.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Another tariff update from meetings held yesterday reveals that tariffs on home based CPE are in affect. That means your little routers are going to cost more. In addition, major networking companies are beginning to think about moving production to Mexico rather than face a 25% tariff but this assumes there will not be a new tariff on Mexican imports. We are beginning to put warnings on all quotes now indicating that we reserve the right to increase the prices at any time if tariffs are imposed during the quote cycle.
I watch CNBC a bit during the day and they have been discussing the fact that the stock market is ignoring the tariffs. They pretty much said that due to their being an abundance of jobs, people dont see a couple of bucks a big deal yet. They just basically ignore it or say "its the greedy CEOs." Few blame tariffs. If it isnt resolved, I do think people will be more aware of it the second we begin the next recession.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Sherrod Brown was on CNBC this morning and they called him "the champion of tariffs." He has admitted they are a great tool to use. He also claimed its why democrats have trouble resonating with the working man anymore and many feel abandoned and that they favor college educated corporate workers. I think Brown might be considering running in 2020. I know many dont like that idea. But he is really out there nationally these days. He has Trumka on his side too from the AFL-CIO.

Jun 2014
United States

Well, you're wrong about that, just as you were wrong about Claudius being a Trump supporter, but it's hardly worth arguing over.

Honda was new in the automobile business in the early 1970s, but Toyota and Datsun (now Nissan) were well established as providers of quality automobiles at a reasonable price point, while Detroit was turning out mostly garbage. Korea didn't begin selling cars in the US until 1986.

Sep 2016
My own world
Well, you're wrong about that, just as you were wrong about Claudius being a Trump supporter, but it's hardly worth arguing over.

Honda was new in the automobile business in the early 1970s, but Toyota and Datsun (now Nissan) were well established as providers of quality automobiles at a reasonable price point, while Detroit was turning out mostly garbage. Korea didn't begin selling cars in the US until 1986.
[QUOTE="Eve1, post: 6089418, member: 28231"] I thought you liked Trump and his policies? No I guess not. It's only a matter of time until the Trump supporters wake up. A Chinese business man who had pledged to create 1 Million jobs in the US has pulled out of his commitment saying basically Trump's policies have proved the US is not the place for him to do business. Hmmm.....[/QUOTE]

?????

[QUOTE="Eve1, post: 6089418, member: 28231"]Actually no, the 70 and 80's were full of cheap cars from Japan and Korea. The first Honda Civic w\was a rust bucket and Hyundai couldn't wire a car properly at all. Over time however they got better and better and kept prices down while the US did the exact opposite, quality got cheaper with higher prices[/QUOTE]

TO NightSwimmer:

Say what? Wasn't 1986 in the 80's and please re-read my comment about Claudius?

Last edited:
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The lure of tariffs appeal to blue collar workers.
Which is the problem. Unions love these tariffs. Unions were deadfast against NAFTA back in the 90s and since. They have used that to claim establishment dems are against the working man. Its in part why Sanders did well in those blue collar factory towns. He has railed against trade forever and his supporters even donned Tshirts with "No TPP" on them. I fear the divide is going to grow larger and eventually when Trump is gone, the GOP will go back to be Chamber of Commerce trade loving types and the dems will also have taken that stance to show their opposition to Trump. It could leave all the blue collar people feeling they have no representation.