Chinese CFO arrested in Canada will face extradition to the US

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
A top executive and daughter of the founder of the Chinese tech giant Huawei was arrested on Saturday in Canada at the request of the United States, in a move likely to escalate tensions between the two countries at a delicate moment.

The arrest of Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer, unfolded on the same night that President Trump and President Xi Jinping of China dined together in Buenos Aires and agreed to a 90-day trade truce. The two countries are set to begin tense negotiations in hopes of ending a trade war that has been pummeling both economies.

What’s more, Ms. Meng’s detention raises questions about the Trump administration’s overall China strategy. Beijing is now likely to pressure Canada to release her and to press the United States to avoid a trial. “The arrest of a family member linked to Huawei’s founder indicates how the tension between the two sides is rapidly escalating,” said T.J. Pempel, a professor of political science at the University of California, Berkeley, who specializes in East Asian politics and economy.

Huawei C.F.O. Is Arrested in Canada for Extradition to the U.S.

Mar 2010
Indiana
So was this an arrest for a legitimate reason or is this some petty retaliation by Trump or another reason? I didn't see anything in the article as to why she was arrested.

I hope the Trump administration isn't restoring to extortion now to get what they want out of China.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
So was this an arrest for a legitimate reason or is this some petty retaliation by Trump? I didn't see anything in the article as to why she was arrested.

I hope the Trump administration isn't restoring to extortion now to get what they want out of China.
I am thinking the same, extortion and blackmail. Trump wants a US/China trade deal. If he gets her in the US, we could jail her and blackmail the leader of China.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
So was this an arrest for a legitimate reason or is this some petty retaliation by Trump or another reason? I didn't see anything in the article as to why she was arrested.

It's not Trump.

Huawei (manufacturer of telecommunications network equipment) is being investigated for shipping US-origin products to Iran and other countries in violation of US export and sanctions laws.

Mar 2010
Indiana
It's not Trump.

Huawei (manufacturer of telecommunications network equipment) is being investigated for shipping US-origin products to Iran and other countries in violation of US export and sanctions laws.
Well that's better. Didn't see that in the article. Leaving that out was a poor job of journalism.

Although I wouldn't put it past this admin that the the charges aren't trumped up (pun intended).

Aug 2018
Vancouver
The US has put sanctions on Iran.

China hasn’t.

Huawei is being accused of using technology obtained from the US in an export to Iran - contrary to US law (Iran sanctions) regarding that technology.

So China doesn’t have sanctions on Iran, and traded with them, but their trade involves componants made in the US.

That is a VERY slim authority to arrest their CFO.

Canada has an extradition treaty with the US so we would arrest because she has a US warrant.

I don’t really know about extradition treaties. Do the arresting countries examine the case in great detail? Or just hand over to the country with the warrant.

I’m curious if Canada will consider the merits of the warrant, or just hand her over as requested in the US warrant.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Well that's better. Didn't see that in the article. Leaving that out was a poor job of journalism.

Although I wouldn't put it past this admin that the the charges aren't trumped up (pun intended).
The article didn't leave it out. The official reason for the arrest has not been announced, but the article discusses the probable reason at some length.

"This year, the Treasury and Commerce Department also asked the Justice Department to investigate Huawei for possibly violating economic sanctions against Iran, according to an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the investigation. Prosecutors in the Eastern District of New York took on the case, he said."