Chinese CFO arrested in Canada will face extradition to the US

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Canada has an extradition treaty with the US so we would arrest because she has a US warrant.

I don’t really know about extradition treaties. Do the arresting countries examine the case in great detail? Or just hand over to the country with the warrant.
I don't know Canadian law in detail; but she will get a court hearing. The purpose of the hearing will not be to decide if she's guilty; but if the extradition request is justified. Exactly what they'd be required to show would depend on Canadian law and the extradition treaty with the US. Assuming Canadian law is similar to British, they'd need to prove that there is a Canadian law equivalent to the one she's accused of violating (so you don't end up extraditing people for things like adultery if some other country bans it); that she'll receive a fair trial in the US and that the US has legitimate jurisdiction to prosecute.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Plot thickens...

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government had no involvement in the arrest of a top executive from Chinese telecoms giant Huawei. Meng Wanzhou was detained at Vancouver airport on Saturday on an extradition request from the US. China has demanded her release, and called the arrest a human rights violation.

The charges remain unknown but the US has been investigating Huawei over possible violation of Iran sanctions. Mr Trudeau said his government was told about the arrest a few days beforehand, but it did not play a role. "I can assure everyone that we are a country [with] an independent judiciary," he said.

No politics in Huawei arrest - Trudeau

Aug 2018
Vancouver
^ Thays good, and should be a given but he still has to say it.

This is going to be pretty dicey for us as one very significant and not always rational superpower is going to be pissed at us whichever way this goes.

Important to be crystal clear that we’re just following the normal process, without political or ideological or economic interests interfering.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I can’t see how The US would have any jurisdiction. Unless the specific thechnology transferred was done with full and fair warning that it was not to be passed to a third party without US government permission.

Or - of course - if the technology was stolen.

But still .... the CFO? Just because she’s the corporate executive that’s suddenly available?

Jul 2011
Toronto
I can’t see how The US would have any jurisdiction. Unless the specific thechnology transferred was done with full and fair warning that it was not to be passed to a third party without US government permission.

Or - of course - if the technology was stolen.

But still .... the CFO? Just because she’s the corporate executive that’s suddenly available?
Wonder how America would feel if one of their CEOs was arrested somewhere because another country felt he or she violates their laws somehow...